Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock Ysaron on bellows
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Rodenstock Ysaron on bellows Reply with quote

I'm not sure why I should be messing about with an enlarging lens on a bellows unit when I have a 90mm Tamron, but sometimes it's nice to try these things ...

Rodenstock Ysaron, 75mm f4.5 enlarging lens, which I think is a 'simple' 3-element triplet made in the 70s or 80s. Shot on a Pentax K10d, stopped down to f8 in the evening light today, and the actual bud is about 25mm across. I like the 'gentle' quality which gives something of the feeling of a pastel drawing - I think it's what used to be termed 'plasticity'.

If we ever get a day without a breeze blowing I'll give it another try - keeping the flowers still is a real problem here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all, I like the results!

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those enlarging lenses are a big surprise. I have a few now - couple of Rodenstocks and El Nikkors. They seem to have a consistently mellow OOF and the ElNikkors are extremely sharp.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 50mm Schneider lens on bellows, but I find it too much even at minimal extension. I've been meaning to try the Tamron 90 on there just to see how it handles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For routine bellows work look into an enlarging lens of 75mm or more. Gives more room to work

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few M39 enlargers lenses, either Rodenstock Rodagons or Schneider Comparons and Componons, all between 50 and 150mm, and i agree, the ones of 100mm or more are easier to use because you don't have to get so close. I'm going to get a longer enlarger lens when I see one cheap or an APO-Rodagon if I see one cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love shooting with enlarger lenses and other bellows- and tube-mounted glass, both for macro and general non-macro work. Here is some of what I've learned:

* EL's are prone to flaring. That's not surprising; they're not meant to be aimed into light sources! A hood is needed for much general work.

* Collect the entire set! That can be difficult, especially at the short end. 35mm EL's are rare and generally expensive, even the average ones. 50's are common; 75's are common as dirt, and about as cheap.

* EL's shorter than 75mm are usually better on tubes, not bellows, because a bellows' large minimum extension distance prevents infinity focus. A short focusing helicoid would also work -- but such are costly.

* On my Pentax K20D, EL's longer than 80mm can reach infinity focus on most bellows I've tried. But lenses around 75-80mm on tubes can be fixed-focused to a good portrait distance, say around 1.5-2m.

* Lenses salvaged from trashed MF cameras (folders, boxes, etc) are often in the 70-105mm range. They're good for a 'period' feel to images.

* 35mm slide projector lenses are often in the 60-150mm range. Some projector lenses are on focusing tubes; I glue M42-PK adapters onto those, to mount directly. Some have fat bodies; I cut off unnecessary portions, and glue-on a cheap PK macro tube section, and use PK tubes as the mount adapter kit.

* Projector and process and xray and other non-EL's usually lack an iris. No aperture?!?!? Shoot wide-open for character! Or a makeshift choke or Waterhouse stop can be inserted behind the lens, for some sharpening.

* Lenses longer than 140mm need LOTS of extension. A heavy 300mm MF lens hangs precariously at the end of a long bellows+tubes kludge. Lenses in the 90-140mm range are most straightforward for general use.

* Use an EL in the 90-140mm range on bellows for street shooting. The rig will draw attention, rather than what you're aiming at. It's camouflage!

That's all I can think of right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see enlarging lenses finding a home like this. The prices are starting to reflect the new usage too. I now have a decent collection from 50 upwards to 150 in Schneider Componon-S, Rodenstock Rodagons (cannot afford the APO's) and El Nikkors. I recently added a Komura, Kodak and Fujinon, but have not been able to test them (very bad weather here for some time).

patrickh