Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock XR-Heligon f=68mm :X-Ray lens on EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Rodenstock XR-Heligon f=68mm :X-Ray lens on EOS Reply with quote

We are seeing different mount lenses adapted on EOS cameras.
I was trying to adapt different lenses, primarily X-ray lenses, on EOS camera..
My first success,

Able to mount Rodenstock XR-Heligon f=68mm Lens. This is X-ray lens.

The lens is fast, I think around f1.3 and is fixed focus. It focuses around 5-6 inches from front element, not bad at all for macro work.

Check the bokeh.... seems like, out of focus part makes some circular image pattern...

I took the broken M42 lens, took out all the optical, front and aperture mechanism. Then I filed the remaining assembly groves to the level where the lens back end fits perfectly. Now I have XR lens with M42 mount, and I can using with focus confirmation chip based EOS-M42 adapter.

Some results,

Click on the pics to browse the bigger version..

Its sharp,

Dreamy,

And creates weired bokeh. The lens and subject were not moving. The weired bokeh is, I think, X-Ray lens optics, which is not optimized for visible wavelength.

Can browse the whole set,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157601549993606/

Cheers...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is too soft to me.Is some special case perhaps good for use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, its not soft.. The optics has some uneven diffraction properties for different wavelengths (colors). Thats making the pics very different..
The results are very different...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you have right, I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Perhaps you have right, I don't know.

Not sure about myself.. just guessing.. these lenses were optimized and tested for X-ray bandwidth... All is just guess.... Wink

My only reasoning is, white is never a white with this lens, Usually nearby colors creates the (almost) same hue on whites...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting lens,I guess good to take some artistic portrait , try on your lovely wife or on your soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Interesting lens,I guess good to take some artistic portrait , try on your lovely wife or on your soon.

Thats what i thought.. but focusses to 8 inches only... I will try to find some other lens (wide angle, but for medical purposes.. optimized for non-visible spectrum). I can even think of using circular ring for aperture mechanism too... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it 8 inch distance only not enough... Try on you mother in law Laughing