Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMC Tokina 3.5/17 on NEX-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the colour versions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic shots, Ian!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too Ron, although in a couple of instances I like the BW ones just as much I think.

Cheers Aspen, put a lot of work into these this weekend but it's been a fun weekend!

Two more from the same spot. Taken me all night to process these HDRs, it's a slow and involved process which can become tiresome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been busy Ian! There's some fantastic stuff there.

I'm not a fan of super-saturated cartoony HDR but those look quite natural.

Good to see a bit of the English countryside, my mental image of Britain is almost exclusively London. Glad to know they haven't paved the entire nation!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I'm not a fan of the super-colourful HDRs either, some reality is needed, I see it as a tool to enable capturing of images in tricky situations where there is a massive difference in light and dark areas such as you get with flowing water and slow exposures.

Once my filters arrive I think I might find myself using HDR less.

It's very rural round here, where I live is 20 miles from Coniston on the coast so just outside the touristy areas and I'm glad of it, trying to drive anywhere in the tourist area is a nightmare! Nearly hit a bus and a caravan on twisty blind bends today, not my fault at all, the bastards came round the bend in the middle of the road and somehow both times I missed them by inches, phew. Then there is the slowness factor, seems all tourists refuse to drive along our roads at anything more than snails pace, many are so slow I get immensely frustrated, can make a 40 min journey into an hour and a half crawl quite easily. Oh, and a lot of tourists here seem to have shitty attitudes, so I try to limit my time in that area, but it is beautiful and crammed with photo opportunities. Where I live is not bad either, but has less stunning places to shoot.

Everyone should visit the Lakes at some point, but for christ's sake, be nice to the locals and respectful of the fact we aren't on holiday and are going about our daily lives!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more from my visit to Hodge Close, HDR again but I tried to keep a realistic look.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last one is super!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ivan, I am trying to make realistic HDR and it seems to have worked for these shots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have beautiful country Ian, and you captured very well.
I like natural more then HDR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is beautiful here, probably a big part of why I became interested in taking pictures in the first place.

I agree that natural is nicest but I like using HDR on those days when the light is bad for photography, for example, this hDr shot of the River Lazy at Haverigg, it was very dull and overcast, terrible for taking pictures, but the HDR allowed more possibilities in this awful situation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really falling in love with this lens, I just love the perspective it gives, these are some HDRs I shot today in a woods full of old machinery I stumbled across.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite i like some of your efforts i dare suggesting a special topic should be opened, maybe even on first page: HDR Gallery.
I don't find HDR shots much informative about any lens, sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my cup of tea either, looks too artificial to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#3 for me.

There's lots of farm equipment mouldering in the woods around here, but of course you've got completely different makes and models rusting out on your side of the pond.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I like #3 too, flares can be pretty.

I realise HDR can be unrealistic but not always, the pond shot isn't unrealistic. It was very dark in the woods and being late afternoon with the sun low in the sky it was near impossible to shoot without resorting to HDR.

The rest of the set, HDR again:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never have known those last ones were HDR. I'll have to give this a try, getting better photos on gloomy days would be awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are all HDR, I don't like the really over the top super colourful HDR shots, for me it is a tool to allow me to take better shots under very difficult lighting situations. Takes a bit of practice and playing with the software but when you get it right HDR can work really well without losing too much realism imho.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 17mm works also quite good for B/W-Conversion Smile
I took it out today to university and made some shots during a break.

(two of my fellow students)
(Wide open and B/W-converted in Lightroom, cropped)

As you can see this lens has a very large DOF already wide open.
I really love this lens. Very good built, sharp (also wide open), nice bokeh and so on.
Actually it's my favourite lens on NEX now.

Some more examples (all shot wide open):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671350@N02/6326657592/in/set-72157628084517902/lightbox/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Foreseil

Nice samples, I agree with your assessment very much. This lens is one of my two favourites, along with Hexanon 3.5/28, both work so well for my landscape shots.

Here are my latest shots with my Tokina, mostly HDR:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodge Close is one of my favorite places Ian, the old quarry has a great beauty about it. When we return in the spring I think we'll have a day out together and shoot the hell out of the place ! You can scramble down the smaller pit and get through to the larger one, but it is a proper hands and knees scramble. Apparently there are some abandoned buildings at the base of the waste screes, hidden in the trees, but I haven't got that far either.
I've put a few pictures of the quarry on Flickr in my Lake District set.

Great work though Ian, finding a few lenses, and a camera, that work for you has made a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodge Close is wonderful, one of those places I need to return to. There is another quarry near there just as nice that I need to visit too, forget name, might be Banishead. So many wonderful spots to visit here, today we found an amazing river with a large number of rapids and waterfalls condensed into a 200mm stretch, we photogrpahed some of it but there was so much there worth photographing it deserves a fully day there alone. Also found a magical wood where there is bright green moss all over everything, didn't get to shoot that as the rain descended.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many great pictures Ian!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Attila. I only shot one image with the Tokina 17mm today, three images stitched verticaly then warped and cropped to remove fisheye effect you get when stitching images made with this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice photos Ian... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another shot by me on NEX-3

Converted to B/W and cropped in Lightroom, removed a street lamp with stamp-function in Photoshop Elements

I will try to use this lens on film, if I can get a cheap Canon FD Body on the next flee market.