Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Right Lens :) Wrong Mount :(
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Right Lens :) Wrong Mount :( Reply with quote

I just bought a lens case + lens combo from ebay. In addition to an awesome case there was a SUN Macro zoom 70-210mm, a Tak f2.8 28mm and a Tak F2 50mm. The problem? the lens are pentax K mount and I have a sony alpha.
I have seen a few PK->alpha mount adapters but they are expensive and contain optics. The price for a good quality adapter is nearly the same price as I paid for the entire auction.
So... my dilemma - do I buy an adapter or just sell the lens and be done with it?
So tell me (please!): Do PK adapters work?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon either:

a) Sell them back on and buy some M42 lenses (as the glass will degrade the quality)

or

b) Buy another body to complement the Sony e.g. EOS or Pentax Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! You might want to hang on to that Sun zoom! I have one; IQ blows my mind -- sharp & good color rendition. Silly me, when I first got it I thought it was a prime it is so sharp, before noticing it has a focal length adjustment ring. Mine has pistol-grip with shutter-release trigger. It is a T-mount lens; the K-mount unscrews, revealing T-mount threads, and can be replaced with regular T-mount adapter for your camera. Small caveat, the T-adapter needs to have a smallish outside diameter to fit under part of the pistol grip, smaller than my T-EOS adapter which does not fit it, so I use a smaller diameter T-M42 with M42-EOS adapter. Otherwise the pistol grip is removable and the lens can then be used with any T-adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I reckon either:

b) Buy another body to complement the Sony e.g. EOS or Pentax Laughing

The (b) option for an EOS body is not the best option!!!

The flange distance for Pentax OK (45.5mm vs EF/EOS 44mm), but the aperture coupling lever sticking out from the back of the lens can foul the Canon inner workings, if you don't modify (remove) it.

You best bets are:
1. A Pentax DSLR,
2. A micro 4/3 camera (Panasonic G1/GH1/GF1 or Olympus E-P1), which will mount just about ANY 35mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sun zoom with a pistol grip is a different beast.

Thats the 85-210 f/4.8, made in preset, pistol-grip (with integrated stop-down-shutter release IF it still has the cable), and auto versions.

I was not impressed by mine, but thats sample variation for you.

What he has is the 70-210 f/4, which is a pretty good lens, or at least mine is. These were made in fixed mount and YS-mount. A PK YS-mount would be fairly unusual.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
The Sun zoom with a pistol grip is a different beast.

Thats the 85-210 f/4.8, made in preset, pistol-grip (with integrated stop-down-shutter release IF it still has the cable), and auto versions.

I was not impressed by mine, but thats sample variation for you.

What he has is the 70-210 f/4, which is a pretty good lens, or at least mine is. These were made in fixed mount and YS-mount. A PK YS-mount would be fairly unusual.

Ahhh, that is correct! Here I have wrong lens right mount LOL!

Thank you...I must be more discerning with my posts. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , I wish to ask something in regards to SUN zoom lenses. I found 2 pieces of such lenses but both of them missing the mount or rather the adaptor. May I know what adaptor do they used ? T4 auto or ... ? Thanks in advance ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kris,

Most Sun zooms used either T-mount (for the preset types) or YS-mount for the automatics, so you could easily change the lens mount.

Sometimes they had fixed mounts (Nikon, M42, Minolta, etc.) that could not be changed.

You can screw a T-mount on a YS mount lens, the screw and the flange focal distance are the same. But of course all the automatic linkages won't be there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Kris,

Most Sun zooms used either T-mount (for the preset types) or YS-mount for the automatics, so you could easily change the lens mount.

Sometimes they had fixed mounts (Nikon, M42, Minolta, etc.) that could not be changed.

You can screw a T-mount on a YS mount lens, the screw and the flange focal distance are the same. But of course all the automatic linkages won't be there.

Ol'right ! Thanks for your input ! Very Happy

I think I saw a YS-Lt adaptor dumped in one of the cardbox in the shop. I will go back to the shop to dig for that piece and see it fits. I am excited ! Laughing