Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ricoh S3 rangefinder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Ricoh S3 rangefinder Reply with quote

The first camera I ever purchased in my college time (1962 or 1963) was a Ricoh S3, after some exercises with my fathers 6x9 folder. Sold it after some years, never forgotten, but I found a replacement some time ago.

It just worked reasonable so I had to make some testpics.

It was really nice to have the oldy (app. 50 years) in my hands again. Focusing sticky when not used for some time - after a second it goes again - and very tricky, the aperture ring sometimes turns to wider open with a half or full stop during transport!
Riken Rikenon 45mm 2.8, pics @ f8
Kodak ISO 200, scan by one-hour-service.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results are wonderful - there is a vintage look to these, but clearly there's good resolution. Is the dog yours?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The colours are extra special by the late afternoon winter light.
The lens seems to be a tessar type (4/3), according to some people made by Tomioka, and not bad indeed. Nice is focusing with two knobs on the ring and "fast transport" with a lever under the body. Not so pleasant is the changing of film - I always had one hand short for the separate back.

The dog, Shadow (nearly black puppy to start with), was my reason to came back to photography. Always prepaired to be test object for manual lenses. But also spoiling lots of other pictures, strolling trough plants, pulling the line when I want to shoot etc. Nevertheless nice company!
On the picture you cannot see it, but some black stayed on his body:

Picture with KM5D and Schacht 90mm Travenar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Kodak Gold? I love that film despite the fact it seems unpopular.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great results, Minolfan! Love the late afternoon golden colors. Never
heard of this Ricoh S-3, but looks like a solid brick of camera.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice rangefinder camera, I've never heard of it before. Is it fully manual with no meter? I have a soft spot for fixed lens rangefinders and own a few of them, and this is one I'd love to add to my small stable.

The dog is beautiful, btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its Kodak Gold, at least good enough for a test.

This Ricoh has no lightmeter. When I bought my first I couldn't afford a Petri 7s with selenium meter. Later I purchased a Gossen Sixtinette handmeter.
I trusted the sturdy build - with appr. 650gr of metal and glass it should be possible to make something good. It feels like that.
The S-series were similar to the former 500 and 519 (see http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?Ricoh500.html~mainFrame). Not as much sold as the later light and small Ricoh 500G.
When I wanted an S3 again I searched in vain on Ebay, but had to wait a long time before one appeared on Marktplaats (local Dutch Ebay), called as "Ricoh S3 SLR" Surprised. I was not the only bidder, so I paid € 25 to get happy with it. Not seen any other one after that.

And thanks, yes the dog looks good. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ricoh has gravitas. nice portrait of a gorgeous dog. that tawny gold contrasts beautifully with the black saddle. a treeing walker hound i am fostering keeps placing himself in the foreground of 'scape shots. i know the feeling ... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some days ago, I also found one of these beauties!

My description here (in German): http://retrocameracs.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/ricoh-s-3/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! It is a nice camera to use.