Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RICOH Auto Rikenon 1.4/55 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: RICOH Auto Rikenon 1.4/55 M42 Reply with quote

This lens is quite likely same as Tomioka's first f1.4 lens.

1. Echinacea @f1.4, EOS 5D, C1 (it has a telltale sign of Tomioka lens' bokeh)

2. Sunflower, 5D, C1

3. Crabapple flowers, 5D, C1

4. Crabapple and people, 5D, C1

5. A dog, 5D, C1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this lens with me for a testshoot at low-light. A local rockband (Starlit Nights) asked me to take some shots of them while playing. I never really used the Rikenon 1.4/55, but it really surprised me, it's a great lens!!
I could easily use it at f/1.4 and f/2 at ISO3200 on the NEX3.

Low-light tests with Starlit Nights by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

Low-light tests with Starlit Nights by TrueLoveOne, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to add some photos taken with this wonderful lens. It's sharp wide open, however razor sharp from f2 and up. Sweet spot is to be found at f5.6-f8. Lens is quite prone to flare when positioning harsh sun within the frame.
All pictures taken with EOS 600d, with a little bit of PP in Lightroom (Exposure, White Balance and tweaked Film Simulation with VSCO Film presets).
Although I use this lens most often as Portrait lens I couldn't post any portrait photos without my wife/models/friends permission.

Mateusz

Here is the lens itself:

And here are the photos:

#1 - f/1.4

#2 - Around f/2.8-4

#3 - Around f2.8

#4 - Taken in Gdańsk - (around f/4-5.6)

The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin photos were taken in the morning (about 5:00-6:40am) just before going to work, but it was worth it, as the weather was beautiful and ships was washed with golden sun.

#5 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/5.6)

#6 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/5.6)

#7 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/5.6-Cool

#8 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/5.6)

#9 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/11-16 hence ISO 6400)

#10 - The Tall Ships Races 2013 Final in Szczecin - (around f/8-11)

#11 - The Pomeranian Dukes' Castle in Szczecin - (around f/5.6)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!! That's the exact same lens i have!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
I love this lens, it's sharp, bokeh is pleasant to the eye, focusing with it is just pure pleasure and what's quite important for me it was relatively cheap (paid about 250 PLN which is around 50GBP or 60EUR) taking into consideration that overpriced Takumars 1.4 goes in Poland for at least twice as much (and from what I've seen they're not twice better than Rikenon Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos taken last weekend (Lüneburger Heide) with Sony A7.. most of them between f2-f4. Just a bit PP.. weather/light was great so it didn't need much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, simply beautiful, nice to see the results on a full frame camera.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! Very good examples for the fact that you don't need to spend large amounts of money to get real 3D pop in your shots!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Smile

and yes.. this lens has some 3D pop