Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Restored GAF L-ES/2 (Chinon Memotron CE II)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Restored GAF L-ES/2 (Chinon Memotron CE II) Reply with quote

I got this camera a long while ago but just got around the getting it up and running. The viewfinder glass window had come loose so it required a complete take-apart. All seals have been replaced.

This is without a doubt the best m42 camera I've seen. It's combined set of features surpass almost everything.

1/2000th top shutter speed
Multiple exposure provision
Auto Exposure with full set of manual speeds
Memory button (allows metering of a specific section of the scene, locking that exposure, and adjusting composition.
Shutter release lock
Mirror Lock Up - Using the self timer
Relatively bright 92% viewfinder (about the same as fujica st701) - micro-prism spot - I personally like this better than split (maybe an issue for some)
Built-in viewfinder light blind for long exposures
Visible shutter speeds through viewfinder
Metal Seiko Step-less Shutter (guarantees a very accurate exposure if the person behind the viewfinder knows what they're doing)
Uses very common px28 battery without issue

It's heavy (~70g more than a Pentax ES, which is not a particularly light camera) and sturdy and hopefully reliable. I was expecting a plastic top cover. The alpa si2000 re-branding, from what I read, was the only one with a metal top. Well the GAF has one...

So here it is - pictured with chinon macro 1.7/50mm and red soft release:

Last edited by themoleman342 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure looks pretty! Cool Like the red soft release button, too.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the first glance like a Leica-R Laughing nice one!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like the red soft release button, too.

Thanks! It is a genuine Abrahamsson mini soft release. They're stupidly expensive but it's been on nearly every camera I've owned. I've gotten comfortable with the technique (curled finger over the shutter release) that one is supposed to use with it so it's hard to change now. The GAF requires a longer shutter button depression than is typical, so I do believe this will help with slower speeds as was intended.

Quote:
At the first glance like a Leica-R

Wow it really does!!! Especially the R3.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great camera. That was the camera I used before I switched to DSLR. But beware of the batteries, they tend to run out of power quite soon, spoiling your shoots.