Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reflex Nikkor 500mm - a different point of view
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reflex Nikkor 500mm - a different point of view Reply with quote

I've heard a lot of negative comments about this lens & how hard it is to get sharp shots. I recently won one cheap on ebay ($165 AUD) I needed a long lens but dont have the budget for a "proper" one, so I thought I would give this one a try. The first couple of times I used it, it was mounted to a lightweight tripod - no good, then I used my heavy old Manfrotto tripod - better, but still not sharp. Then I tried using a small bean bag to just rest the camera on & bingo! Sharp shots almost every time. The image quality seems quite good & it doesnt even seem that hard to focus. I use Nikon D80/D70 bodies & the focus confirmation dot even works in good light. Now I am loving this lens & the best part is that I dont have to lug around a tripod, just a small bean bag which fits in my camera case. I highly recommend these cheap old lenses (mine is the 2nd one made between 1968-1981) Just plonk it on a bean bag & shoot away. What do you think of the images?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both looks great, particularly #2.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens looks good ..... you've taken very nice photos, especially the last one Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots! I had much the same opinions about the Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror after I bought it. In my case, I had a sufficiently stout tripod, but the shots were still lacking in sharpness. Then I switched focusing screens to a plain matte screen in my Canon A-1, and that helped, especially after I bought an eyepiece magnifier. Now I was getting some pretty sharp pics. Then I bought a Canon FTb with mirror lock up. Because it did not have inerchangeable focusing screens, that was a bit of a problem, but I could still use the magnifier for focusing. Being able to lock up the mirror helped even more, I believe. Finally I got an old F-1, so I had everthing I needed -- a plain matte screen, mirror lock up, a eyepiece magnifier and a stout tripod. At last I was getting the most out of the mirror as was possible. And it was capable of rendering very good images.

Shoulda thought of the bean bag trick, though. That would have probably saved a lot of aggravation.

A lot of folks just don't realize -- or perhaps want to be bothered with -- the level of preparation one needs to make to maximize these lens's results.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#2 is great Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Here is my rig. I've shot at speeds as low as 1/30 second with sharp results. The bean bag just seems to absorb all the mirror slap & camera shake. It's even unaffected in high winds, almost makes my tripod seem redundant. No need to worry about using high ISO or mirror lock up. If any of you have a mirror lens or any long lens, you should give this method a try.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 for me please.
Excellent timing and background.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both shots are lovely, brill light and colours!

Rgds,
Dave

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 500mm mirror is my top lens. You can shot unbelievable images as your samples shows very well.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any images from this lens before, and yours are excellent Smile I love the composition of number two.

Really intruiged by your technique with the bean bag...I always seem to forget mine...not anymore!!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay you've sold me on the bean bag. Now, as for placement with your rig, where do you locate it? Atop the camera? Atop the lens, or perhaps as close to the camera/lens mount as possible, I'm wondering. Or does it matter?

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I use the bean bag, all I do is find something to rest it on like a low fence or a short pole or a rock, any solid support that is available. Then I just place the bean bag on it & rest the camera on top of the bean bag just like in the photo above. I have even shot from the lying down position on the ground with the bean bag/camera sitting on top of my camera bag. It's a good idea to carry an old towel with you just in case you have to lie on grass or dirt. The bean bag is full of heavy beans, it's one of those ones that you can heat up in a microwave oven & use as a sort of hot water bottle in bed.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, for some reason I thought you were setting a smaller bean bag atop your rig. Interesting way of doing things.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a couple of pics (excuse the bad quality) of different methods for resting the camera on a bean bag. It is really easy. The important thing is that you hold the camera while the shutter is fired. Don't use the self timer or a remote release. Your hands on the camera will help absorb any vibration.