Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend a 400mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a thorough search of my images, an example from 2020 (hand held) of (Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-) 400mm 1/400 sec at f10, ISO 400 on m4/3:

I found another from 2017: 1/125 at f10, ISO 250

Last edited by e6filmuser on Thu May 19, 2022 7:04 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, it is ultimately a question of personal requirements or the required presentation size, form and distance (e.g. paper print vs. standard TV vs. high resolution monitor).
For a serious comparison it is nevertheless essential to compare 100% crops, so that you do not compare apples and oranges with each other.
This always brings me to the conclusion that if you're just shooting pictures for Facebook, Instagram or alike, any better smartphone is nowadays almost indistinguishable from a high standard camera with high performance optics, except that the focal length selection on the smartphone is still rather limited.

A good example was the posted bird head shot with a mirror lens. More than good enough when viewed downsized for Facebook with max. 2048px on the long side but rather low standard at 100% view.

Having said that, a 100% crop of the posted tiny 1024px dragonfly picture would be interesting to see. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Having said that, a 100% crop of the posted tiny 1024px dragonfly picture would be interesting to see. Wink

Anything to please! I cropped the full size TIFF to the size of the above JPEG and gave it my normal processing (which may differ from that in 2017):

This is how I would normally deal with a crop, except that I would crop for composition not size.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Anything to please! I cropped the full size TIFF to the size of the above JPEG and gave it my normal processing (which may differ from that in 2017):

This is how I would normally deal with a crop, except that I would crop for composition not size.

OK, thanks. Nothing to complain about.
However, this picture was shot with the best lens in this focal length for MFT money can buy, the Panasonic Leica DG Vario Elmar 100-400mm 4.0-6.3 ASPH. Not exactly cheap. Wink
I only have the Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm 4.0-5.6 OIS, but that's good enough for my requirements when hiking. Other than that I don't use MFT format.