Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Reassembling focus - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar Semi-Automatic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reassembling focus - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar Semi-Automatic Reply with quote

Hi! Wink
I am in the process of cleaning and regreasing my first lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 Semi-Automatic. Disassembly has gone great with no issues, however. I am now attempting to screw the focus back together, which is comprised of two seperate parts- the issue being that they are being stopped half way by a stopper that is now rubbing when this wasn’t an issue prior. I have done a fair amount of research on the issue on other model Tessars on this forum, but have not been able to resolve the issue as I have not seen a semi-automatic post anywhere. One post mentions there being different threads on the same thread and as such it takes some time to get this right, however mine does not seem to have more than one?
Attached are images of my struggle lol.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this!
Ta,
Jono

#2 The two separate focus parts

#3 Full module not screwing all the way

#4 Full Lens

#5 The Issue in question. Circled in red, this is the part that is now not allowing the lens to be reassembled.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reassembling focus - Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar Semi-Automat Reply with quote

Strky17 wrote:
Hi! Wink
I am in the process of cleaning and regreasing my first lens, a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 Semi-Automatic. Disassembly has gone great with no issues, however. I am now attempting to screw the focus back together, which is comprised of two seperate parts- the issue being that they are being stopped half way by a stopper that is now rubbing when this wasn’t an issue prior. I have done a fair amount of research on the issue on other model Tessars on this forum, but have not been able to resolve the issue as I have not seen a semi-automatic post anywhere. One post mentions there being different threads on the same thread and as such it takes some time to get this right, however mine does not seem to have more than one?
Attached are images of my struggle lol.

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this!
Ta,
Jono

#2 The two separate focus parts

#3 Full module not screwing all the way

#4 Full Lens

#5 The Issue in question. Circled in red, this is the part that is now not allowing the lens to be reassembled.

Welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Back from the dead, must be more than a decade I posted here Smile]

Looks like the Tessar I had back in the days, so check my thread from 2008 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/tessar-50mm-alu-reassembly-t11938,highlight,%2Btessar.html

Disclaimer : that lens is long gone, no way for me to help you further if those instructions are not enough.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:
[Back from the dead, must be more than a decade I posted here Smile]

Looks like the Tessar I had back in the days, so check my thread from 2008 :

http://forum.mflenses.com/tessar-50mm-alu-reassembly-t11938,highlight,%2Btessar.html

Disclaimer : that lens is long gone, no way for me to help you further if those instructions are not enough.

Hahaha oh my goodness, how the world comes full circle lol! I did have a read through this thread when first trying to fix it. I did think I had a different lens as pictured above, i thought it was
only 2 separate pieces, however upon doing more unscrewing it is indeed the same lens with 3 separate pieces that comprise the focus housing. Im going to have a good read and fiddle with it once i get my hands on some grease. Thank you very much for your help! ill keep you updated.

Ta, Jono