Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RB Tele Graflex 3 1/4x 4 1/4 - Large Format SLR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: RB Tele Graflex 3 1/4x 4 1/4 - Large Format SLR Reply with quote

I picked this up surprisingly cheap, and (mostly) in working order besides -

This is a Revolving-Back (usually listed as "RB") Graflex SLR in the old US quarter-plate size, 3 1/4x4 1/4". This is the fairly uncommon "Tele-Graflex" model, which had both an extended bellows draw and took snap-in lensboards besides - no need for a screwdriver to change lenses ! Based on the lens and body serial numbers, I figure this was made around 1919-1921. Folmer/Graflex were still owned by Kodak at the time.

Its a "Tele", which means it can take longer lenses than the regular models, and indeed it can. I am making lensboards for some of my longer barrel lenses; it looks like it will work with my Elgeet 10" (254mm) Telephoto and perhaps, hopefully, with my Graflex Optar 15" (380mm), as that is also a Telephoto. Sadly, it probably won't work with my Ilex Paragon 8 1/2" at reasonable portrait distances.

In the photos above its got a Kodak Ektanon 7 1/2" (190mm) Enlarging lens (which is just a nice Tessar) on a lensboard I made.

But it came with a TTH Cooke 5 3/4" (144mm)

This was the expensive premium "standard" lens option on this model, the more usual options being a Kodak or Bausch&Lomb Tessar. The Cooke, though, is in fact a real "Cooke Triplet" - interesting that this was considered an upgrade over Tessars. This is also the shortest lens that will focus at infinity on this camera.

The only problem with my copy is the aperture is frozen. I hope I can get it loose, but I'm likely to shoot wide-open with this anyway.

Like all Graflexes, its got the famous focal-plane shutter - The knob on top advances the shutter curtain to select the right size slit, and the knob below selects the spring tension - controlling the speed with which the slit is to move.

Unlike the later Graflexes / Speed Graphics, this earlier model lists the actual slit width in inches -

The shutter curtains are in good shape (no pinholes seen so far) and the shutter seems to be in working order. Unlike some more complex early SLR's and other cameras with focal plane shutters, the Graflex shutter is extremely simple and even older examples are often still functional. On the SLR's the capping feature (to permit the shutter to be cocked without inserting a darkslide) is provided by the mirror.

Being a Graflex, this gas the "Graflex back" which is much like the Graflok back, but not quite ! - The light trap grooves are different. Fortunately, I have a complete set of backs for the 3 1/4 x 4 1/4" Graflex back, as my late father-in-laws Speed Graphic is a model that had that factory fitted.

So I can fit sheet film holders, roll film holders, of which I have several for 120 and for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 No. 51 film, the Speed Graphic groundglass (not too useful on this), and the dreaded "bag mag" - the sheet film magazine that takes 12 sheets in septums.

Problems - it has a few.

The top door mounting was broken, and I have had to fix it. No problem, some screws and wood glue; later I'll put some leather over it.

The handle is in a very bad way, I don't know if there is a way to restore it. I haven't found a safe way to remove it.

The leather finish should be easy enough to clean up with saddle soap and shoe polish, but the brass was originally done with a flat grey oxidized finish that may be impossible to redo.

My other big problem is my eyesight ! The darn hood is too tall, I can't focus on the groundglass - I am very nearsighted, but now I also need bifocals ! To see things close up I raise my glasses, but the groundglass is just too far away. I need a diopter adjustment on this !

I intend to use this as a 6x9 portrait camera, with a 120 back or an adapted No. 51 back. The Cooke would be like a 60mm. The 190mm Ektanon would be the equivalent of a 80mm, the 10" Elgeet a 105mm, and the 15" Optar a 165mm.

The camera is suprisingly light, but it is of course quite bulky.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those old reflex Graflexes are sure ungainly looking cameras, but some folks I've known who are familiar with them have told me that they take surprisingly good photos. Hope you get your vision issues sorted out, cuz I for one would love to see some pics. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been fantasizing about these for a little while, but the only reason why I would really want it over my Pacemaker Speed Graphic is if it had front movements... which it doesn't, AFAIK. If only it could at least tilt!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the German large format SLRs have front movements - notably the Reflex Primar and the Mentor Atelier/Studio series. Their movements are a bit less useful than you might initially think, as the 9x12cm ones can only handle lenses from about 180-250mm, i.e. the classic portrait tele range - not really a range where you'd be desperately in need of movements.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a beautiful camera - and historic, all the Big Names used these - Stieglitz, Steichen, the crew... Some day I hope to graduate to one of these, though it sounds like I'd have to accumulate a bunch o bits for it...

Thank you for the tour, I'm fascinated, hope to see a photo made with this soon...

here's an ad for a rb, from 1932 - in this one Kodak was pushing the ACTION SHOT usage Wink

"Over the Top" with a Graflex 1932 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! This is first one what I seen, I didn't know this type of camera is exists.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !

I have made a workaround for the focusing hood - I made a new short one out of wood thats masked for 6x9. Lets see how it works out.

There are common versions of the Graflex with a rising front at least. These would have been the premium versions. If I recall correctly the 5x7 version also had swing or tilt, rise and fall movements.

Ditto about the usefulness of movements for these things. These were mostly meant to be handheld cameras, even if they were handheld on a tripod ! There is no cable release mounting for the shutter. The minimum focal lengths are also rather long for the format. Think of them as really big Nikon F's limited to 55-200mm lenses. Their best use is for portraits and action.

I have some spare sheet film backs and a couple of spare No. 51 roll film backs for 3 1/4x4 1/4. The No. 51 backs should be adaptable to 120 (I have made experiments in this direction), but it will take some testing to see what if anything one needs to do to correct for film flatness - because for sure it isn't lying flat. If anyone is interested let me know.

I also have a 4x5 version of the plain Rotating Back Model "B" (no lensboards), thats missing a back (somebody probably stole it for a Speed Graphic) and a bad shutter curtain. Thats an experimental unit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I also have a 4x5 version of the plain Rotating Back Model "B" (no lensboards), thats missing a back (somebody probably stole it for a Speed Graphic) and a bad shutter curtain. Thats an experimental unit.

I've got a nicely working 4x5" B, with one matching Grafmatic. It does not see much use given that I have several more versatile (hacked Mentor Atelier with Linhof back, Primar Reflex) and/or compact (Primar-Reflex, Klapp-Mentor, TP) German and British 4x5" respectively 9x12cm reflexes.

As far as servicing the shutter goes, Graflex shutters are almost idiotically simple, and www.graflex.org is packed with patterns and tips - it is pretty easy to rebuild them (at any rate compared to European reflexes, which tend to be very complex).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Sevo !

Can you show your collection ? Those sound wonderful !

Modified for use at 6x9 -

New pop-in hood

Elgeet 10" Telephoto