Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

question - Zeiss Jena Biotar versus Helios 44
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: question - Zeiss Jena Biotar versus Helios 44 Reply with quote

Most of us here know that the Helios 44 is a Zeiss Biotar clone, and a great performer for peanuts.

The Jena Biotar 2/58 is more expensive, does it offer greatly improved performance over the Helios?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this question a while back: http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-or-biotar-58mm-t42614.html

Maybe it has some of the information you're looking for?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I asked this question a while back: http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-or-biotar-58mm-t42614.html

Maybe it has some of the information you're looking for?

Thanks, should have searched more thoroughly Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recomend the Helios over the Biotar in Build quality the Biotar is put together rather badly and when it fails like mine did you will understand this.
Mine was the aluminium biotar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get perfect looking Helios but photos will be bellow average. That rarely happens with Biotar. But then again for the same price you'll get 3 pieces of Helios lenses to choose from.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lens in almost any version, to me all 50mm lens almost same , no significant difference , no matter made like Leica, Zeiss or Nikon or Russians all are stunning performer at f8-f11 and all are excellent stopped down, most of them are more than okay at wide open.

Key difference is do you feel better if you have a Biotar ? I feel better Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second copy of chrome helios is coming but I do want a biotar as it is the geniue product. Smile