Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question wich 200mm'ish walk around lens to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I just purchased a Soligor 2.8/200. Not small or light. I couldn't resist the price, but don't expect it to match my 3/200 S1.

Yes, I have the Vivitar and it is as good as you say.
I should do a comparison I suppose with the Mamiya.
I can't recall the aperture for the sample shot that I posted, but it may well have been at f4
Here is one at full aperture from the Vivitar.
Despite their quality, I don't think that these lenses are what the OP is after.
They both miss out in the small and light stakes. Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Tamron SP 19AH 70-210mm F3.5. It is slightly large for my A7 but matches well with most of the SLRs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice timing OH.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful!!
I think i'm getting more and more confused. Problem with getting a larger sensor in this case is getting smaller dof, wich is a nice thing to have when trying to do manual focussing. Otherwise most normal 200 have got a closest focus distance of 2.5m. All 2.8 weigh aboout 8oograms. There is CA lurking everywhere.
And it seems that lenses with internal focussing has a very short throw at the long end. And that includes most zoom lenses? Nikons throw is going the wrong way. Wink And the best one's are very expensive....

The cannon fd 200mm f4 SSC has 1.5m mfd. Haven't read a lot about it though.
The super takumar 150mm haven't escaped yet.

This might take time....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Optik Görlitz Orestegor 4/200 is a nice little lens weighting 594gr and having 16 blades iris.

The closest range in my 200mm lenses is the Jupiter-21 M with 1,80m.
Really a bargain.

Among the zoom lenses, Angenieux 3.5/70-210mm is a great lens. Min focusing distance is 1.00m, lens diameter is 62mm, weight 768gr.
Great but not cheap...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Nice timing OH.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
I wish I could say that I caught this leaf as it was falling, but my reflexes and focusing ability are nowhere near that good.
It was hanging by a single spider thread - trouble was it wouldn't stop spinning Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Nice timing OH.

I wish I could say that I caught this leaf as it was falling, but my reflexes and focusing ability are nowhere near that good.
It was hanging by a single spider thread - trouble was it wouldn't stop spinning Very Happy
OH

I don't see the spider thread...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Nice timing OH.

OH

Yes I was pleased that it didn't show, as it gives the leaf the illusion of falling.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
RAART wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Lightshow wrote:
Nice timing OH.

OH

Yes I was pleased that it didn't show, as it gives the leaf the illusion of falling.
OH

Yes, it does please the photo but not the lens. The lens should resolve the spider thread... Just saying.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
Yes, it does please the photo but not the lens. The lens should resolve the spider thread... Just saying.

Correction - I was able to see just faint details of the spiderweb...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
RAART wrote:

Correction - I was able to see just faint details of the spiderweb...

Yes - if it was my intention to show the web I would have tried harder to pick it out.
I didn't take this picture to illustrate this lens, it was taken for effect and I was pleased to have the web not seen.
Lenses are means to an end after all.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A larger size would likely show the thread.

Belcanto wrote:
Beautiful!!
I think i'm getting more and more confused. Problem with getting a larger sensor in this case is getting smaller dof, wich is a nice thing to have when trying to do manual focussing.

And you can always stop down if you need more DOF unless it's low light.

Quote:
Otherwise most normal 200 have got a closest focus distance of 2.5m. All 2.8 weigh aboout 8oograms. There is CA lurking everywhere.

My Topcor R 20cm f4 has a MFD of under 2.2m(<7feet) if you want closer, a macro 180/200 should focus much closer.

Quote:
And it seems that lenses with internal focussing has a very short throw at the long end. And that includes most zoom lenses? Nikons throw is going the wrong way. Wink And the best one's are very expensive....

I wish Nikon and Pentax went the same way as everyone else too.

Quote:
The cannon fd 200mm f4 SSC has 1.5m mfd. Haven't read a lot about it though.
The super takumar 150mm haven't escaped yet.

This might take time....

I have the SSC 200/2.8, I did hear the f4 was good, I still think the FDn 80-200/4L would be great for walk-around lens.
I haven't shot my SSC 300/5.6 since I got my A7r, I'll have to take it for a spin.
Same with my SMC M 135/3.5 & 200/4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I was walking around yesterday with the Series 1 on the NEX; didn't consider weight an issue. The close focusing gave me this:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I just ran some tests of my options in this range on my A7r: Contax Vario-Sonnar 80-200/4, Canon FD 70-210/4, Tamron SP 70-210 #19AH & Tamron 70-300/4-5.5 Di VC. All were tested wide open and close to infinity, but a bit short of it, as that's where I tend to use telephotos.

Of the three MF lenses it was not too surprising to see the sharpest lens being the Zeiss. More of a surprise was that the Canon FD 70-210/4 which is about the cheapest of the main marque tele-zooms bested my copy of the Tamron #19AH.

All of the MF zooms suffered from varying degrees of CA with the Zeiss again being best and the Canon second. The AF Tamron was best by a distance on CA - there was none at all in the centre of the image - but came second to the Zeiss for sharpness, and possibly behind the Canon FD also. The #19AH was worst by a distance for CA, with a lot of purple fringing even in the centre, it also vignettes most, but I've never been all that concerned about vignetting as it is very easy to correct.

Ultimately though away from the 100% pixel peeping view any of these lenses will give usable results at web size and for smaller prints. If I had to get really good results I'd probably hire a Nikon or Canon 70-200. I'd be most likely to pack the Vario-Sonnar for a day of casual shooting, though as it's relatively light and very decent in quality.

As an aside, I also tested my 300/4 Tele-Tessar against the Tamron 70-300 and found that the Zeiss sharper wide open and miles ahead when stopped down to match the Tamron's f/5.6, so I will definitely run with the Tele-Tessar if I need a long lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glancing at this thread again prompted me to look at Ken Rockwell's review of the Fuji X-T1. he clearly rates the camera, but not with non-Fuji lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Contax 100-300/4.5-5.6 Vario-Sonnar mentioned already? Superb optics, slightly slow, 925g, MFD 1.5m, no tripod collar (but one can use an adapter with tripod collar on mirrorless cameras), usually some zoom creep. This is my pick in this focal lenght and I just can't wait for the Sony A7S to come down in price so that I can try the lens on FF and without worrying about high ISO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Pentax-A SMC 200mm F4 for a walk-around lens. I had the M42 Takumar, but I didn't like it, prefered Pentacon over it, but even better is the SMC A version.
It is a thin lens and very light (400 g)! It's sharp, acceptable amount of CA wide open (probably correctable - but I don't do post-processing).
Highly recommended as a travel lens.

Two examples - wide open and F8 (best performance there)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the 1:4/200 Takumar -- the f/5.6 is small & lightweight; the f/4 is what I kept...

I also liked the early NIKKOR-Q Auto 1:4 f=20cm Nippon Kogaku Japan non-AI -- liked it a lot! It has great color. It is not the smallest but it is very lightweight!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own the Canon FDn 200mm f2.8 and the Konica Hexanon 200 f4 and as a walk-around, the Konica is outstanding.
Here's a video I shot, hand held through glass using the Olympus E-M5:

https://vimeo.com/album/2972937/video/82390638

cheers, Joseph

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlasman wrote:
I own the Canon FDn 200mm f2.8 and the Konica Hexanon 200 f4 and as a walk-around, the Konica is outstanding.

cheers, Joseph

Nice job! Seems like a good lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Atlasman wrote:

cheers, Joseph

Nice job! Seems like a good lens.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all suggestions. Contax 100 - 300mm seems to be a gem. I don't know how I feel about zooms. Just to try handling one I bought a chinon 70-150mm zoom for next to nothing.
I picked up a smal kit of Konica stuff this weekend, among them a hexanon 200/4. I've got one already, but didn't like it very much on my G5. Still the X-T1 is another camera and might work differentely with it. Generally I like hexanons very much.
I'm a bit busy right now so my planned shootout with the lenses I have will have to wait for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If small size matters to you, try the preset takumar 200mm f5.6, its excellent performer and the most compact
200mm I have ever encountered. If you don't care about bulk, then the tamron 180mm f2.5 sp ld if is superb
telephoto, fast and sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thread has gone all over the board - everything is covered.