Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question: Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200/4.5 filter size
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Question: Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200/4.5 filter size Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a Steinheil Tele-Quinar 200mm 4.5 coming in probably sometime next week, missing a front lens cap. Does anyone know what filter size it takes?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M54x0.75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, an odd size. Sounds like I am going to have to get one custom made. I assume the original front lens cap is one that fits around the outside like you see with for example Meyer's of that period? I know someone who has the equipment to 3D print "outside fit" lens caps to your specs. He made one for a Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 2.8 for me that way.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. A 3D printed cap will be nice. An alternative solution will be a 54mm->55mm adapter which I used on my Macro-Quinaron.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens arrived today. In fact it does include a front lens cap, although not an original Steinheil. This is a Voigtlander with some tape around it probably to hold it together. Fits onto the lens well though. For now it will be sufficient.

Any by the way, this is a gorgeous lens. sharp wide open, excellent build quality. Just.... "wow".

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
Lens arrived today. In fact it does include a front lens cap, although not an original Steinheil. This is a Voigtlander with some tape around it probably to hold it together. Fits onto the lens well though. For now it will be sufficient.

Any by the way, this is a gorgeous lens. sharp wide open, excellent build quality. Just.... "wow".

Regards, C.

I got a pristine looking sample a few years ago, together with a Minolta SR-2 (the first Minolta SLR [1958] which is pretty rare) and an equally like-new Steinheil Culmigon 4.5/35mm. The Tele-Quinar 4.5/200mm has a completely fogged lens element, and therefore I simply put it on a shelf for display. Maybe I should try to clean it, though ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the skill to clean it (I don't) you might want to try. I have only had mine for a few hours at this point, but am really impressed with it.

Can you tell me about the Culmigon? What is your opinion of it?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some sample taken some years ago with the Culmigon. Lovely lens in its time.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1542981.html#1542981

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens section:

S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same Steinheil 4.5/200mm in chrome barrel. Mine is a touch more weathered, but came with the beautiful original hood.
I did a test of some of my favorite 180/200mm lenses, and I remember the Steinheil came out as the best of the "old guard". Sharp enough, nice bokeh and almost no fringing. Not bad for such an old optic!
The competitors were other manual focus lenses, most of the them quite younger, all with M42 or PK mount. Some were first class optics, like the Pentax-A Star 2.8/200mm, the Tamron SP Anniversary 2.5/180mm and the CZJ Sonnar 2.8/200mm, but the old Steinheil performed surprisingly close to the best of the crop. I was amazed, I always thought that 200mm wasn't the easiest focal length to design at that time

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:

I did a test of some of my favorite 180/200mm lenses, and I remember the Steinheil came out as the best of the "old guard". Sharp enough, nice bokeh and almost no fringing. Not bad for such an old optic!
The competitors were other manual focus lenses, most of the them quite younger, all with M42 or PK mount. Some were first class optics, like the Pentax-A Star 2.8/200mm, the Tamron SP Anniversary 2.5/180mm and the CZJ Sonnar 2.8/200mm, but the old Steinheil performed surprisingly close to the best of the crop. I was amazed

Thank you for this information - obviously I should try to clean my Tele-Quinar!

S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the ring at the back of the Tele Quinar a standard T-mount, or some proprietary Steinheil ring (or just part of the construction)?
Thanks

Paolo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Is the ring at the back of the Tele Quinar a standard T-mount, or some proprietary Steinheil ring (or just part of the construction)?
Thanks

Paolo

it is not T-mount. You can remove it.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this lens for a while now, and it is a really nice lens. You will find lenses that are sharper than this one, but as someone said, it is sharp enough. I can best describe the impression I get through the viewfinder as "smooth". I can't really articulate what I am seeing but I like it.

On the other hand, I don't take this Steinheil 200mm out very much because at about 660 grams it is quite heavy. And the weight is to the front of the lens. One small problem I have found in using a monopod with this lens is that when attaching the mounting plate to the screw mount on the lens (I guess Steinheil knew it was heavy and anticipated upon that requirement), my Manfrotto RC2 mounting plate and/or head interferes with the focussing ring. So anyone looking at this lens should keep in mind they might need a head with a small enough area on the lens side.

This is a test picture I took today. It is an empty office building across the street that I use for the details and high contrast elements. This is on an Olympus E-M1 Mk.II (so 2x crop factor), ISO 200, auto white balance, straight out of camera. The lens is a at F5.6.

Regards, C.