Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Zuiko 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Question about Zuiko 50/1.4 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been looking all over the forum but didn't find too many information about the lens. There's common agreement flowing in the internet that later models with serial number higher than 1.000.000 are better in terms of sharpness and contrast. However I've never seen direct comparison of zuiko 50's from different periods and with different serial numbers.
Just yesterday I bought Zuiko MC 50mm f/1.4 with 8xx.xxx serial number for reasonable £35 and I should get it next week.

In the meantime I got the idea that maybe we could start thread about this lens where our members could post their photos along with serial number and a few words of opinion about their lenses. As soon as I'll get the lens I'll write my opinion as well as comparison with the only f/1.4 lens I have - Auto Rikenon 55mm/1.4 (which is by the way very nice lens) and fantastic sharp zuiko 50/1.8 (MIJ).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what serial number mine is, I have no issues with sharpness or contrast, it's a great lens.
I'll add a serial tonight.
8005xx range

Last edited by Lightshow on Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a G. Zuiko S. 50 1.4 No. 608513 and it's very good. ( I haven't compared it to the humble 1.8, which is also very good, to see just how different the 1.4 is. )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's even a flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/zuiko_5014_plus_1100000

I'm fortunate to get one with serial > 1,100,000 (1134nnn). But I have not done any head-to-head comparison with other 1.4 lenses. I think the MC version should already be very good. You won't see any difference stop down.

Below are some low light shots with the lens, aperture pretty open:

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=date-taken-desc&tags=olympuszuiko50mmf14&user_id=31826897%40N00&view_all=1