Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about mirrorless
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Question about mirrorless Reply with quote

I've been using DSLRs now for a couple of years and currently I've got a 5dmk2 that I always use with my Sigma 50mm 1.4.
That weights about 1.5kg and I'm starting to leave my dslr at home just because its horrible to carry it around all day.

So now I'm looking into mirror less cameras Smile
Like A7, Nex7 or A6000. I want one with a good EVF so I don't have to use Live-view with a loupe.
Preferably full frame, but ape-c with a speed booster is a good option.
Any tips and ideas? The A7r is too expensive Wink

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both 5dm2 and A7r.
Both cameras are different. You need to try the Sony by yourself to feel it.

Personally, I don't think they can replace each other directly.
Canon is more stable with long lenses. I don't have one single AF lens for Canon, and have swapped out with eg-s screen.
Manual focus is very good from focal 50mm and longer.

A7r is a good camera, but it has minor irritation in design and in firmware. If you want FF compact, A7 series is the best option. It is still bigger than nex5x series. Nex6 and Nex7 are bigger. I keep my nex5n due to evf can be angled up, touch screen, and suitable for travel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEX6 or X-E1 is the better choice on APS-C, Full-Frame may be A7. Fujifilm cameras are better in JPG direct-output, and you should spend more time on the RAW shot by Sony machines.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evf in the a7 is the best I've seen, yet I still needed to zoom in to see critical focus, particularly in bright light. I don't like shooting in this way and so sold it and kept my DSLR. I'd definitely try one before buying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The evf in the a7 is the best I've seen, yet I still needed to zoom in to see critical focus, particularly in bright light. I don't like shooting in this way and so sold it and kept my DSLR. I'd definitely try one before buying.

But you can zoom in using the EVF and not the LCD right?
I've got access to lots of DSLRs at work so I'm not sure if i really need one.

I'm going to wait for the announced price of the A7s since I often do video as well Smile

Thank you for the input guys.

Anyone tried the A6000? I've read a lot of great stuff about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion if you want to enjoy your collection of Nikkors you should stay by FF and the A7 is certainly the best camera available.
You could add a 40 or 50mm RF, like a Nokton 40/1.4, to have a compact kit or the Zeiss Sonnar FE 35/2.8

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the NEX 7 to maybe upgrade my NEX 5, then the 5 died and I bought a camera in a hurry, a Sony A6000 - instead of the NEX 7. I bought it out of choice having looked at the specifications and price, I think the A6000 has leapfrogged the 7.
Although I haven't used it much yet, but apart from one glaring bit of stupid design, I love it. The 'stupid design'? The camera has a flat bottom - level with the bottom of the flip out screen - and when mounted on a tripod the rubber or cork on the tripod head or quick release plate pushes up slightly and jams the screen shut. Someone who wasn't careful could easily pull a bit hard and damage the screen. I've filed a Manfrotto quick release plate down to clear the screen, but you shouldn't need to do that, it's a simple and inexcusable design error that potentially could ruin an otherwise excellent camera.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one that passes the pocket test tell me.

Pocket test = fits in shirt or trouser pocket, or, possibly, in strap-on-the-trouser-camera bag. Means, you can carry it anywhere as part of your standard stuff (like your wallet).

Benchmark is something like Samsung WB500, 24(!)-240mm eq (granted, 240/5.8 pretty soft diffraction), 3.5 cm thick. I'll give you that high ISOs are the suck and ISO 80 isn't really crispy. But it's there in the pocket.

EVIL are nice, if you want one, go play with it (I have seen NX bodies traded for like 40 bucks?!) but as Ken says, the best camera is not good if it produces a dark frame because you didn't have it handy.

Maybe with NX, using no lens with closed hole, then bringing something like 55 M42 (very small) and M42 to NX adaptor in another pocket.. would still suck to assemble it in the field and with all the dust..

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I was looking at the NEX 7 to maybe upgrade my NEX 5, then the 5 died and I bought a camera in a hurry, a Sony A6000 - instead of the NEX 7. I bought it out of choice having looked at the specifications and price, I think the A6000 has leapfrogged the 7.
Although I haven't used it much yet, but apart from one glaring bit of stupid design, I love it. The 'stupid design'? The camera has a flat bottom - level with the bottom of the flip out screen - and when mounted on a tripod the rubber or cork on the tripod head or quick release plate pushes up slightly and jams the screen shut. Someone who wasn't careful could easily pull a bit hard and damage the screen. I've filed a Manfrotto quick release plate down to clear the screen, but you shouldn't need to do that, it's a simple and inexcusable design error that potentially could ruin an otherwise excellent camera.

That's...inexcusable. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nex-5 with this

http://forum.mflenses.com/help-me-id-the-lens-t54697.html
or these

does pass the pocket test. It's 24-240 part that is hard with EVIL

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, imo, theres apsc/m4/3, many of which ive tried, and my conclusion is they yield very similar IQ. so within that group it turns into a 'user experience' question. then theres FF, which, agsin imo, is head and shoulders beyond the other group in IQ. if youre goal is to get the best of your lenses, then i'd go FF mirrorless, no question.