Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Question about Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 Reply with quote

What's the different between the Trioplan 100/2.8 and Trioplan N 100/2.8?

All I know is the number of blades are different between the two..... Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have different optical scheme and different looking too.
Trioplan 100 silver is a manual lens available with M42 and Exakta mount and in some special case it has unique bokeh.

Trioplan 100N has only Exakta version it as a manual/auto lens with Exakta bulb. Optical quality is excellent, different than other , more looks like other good 100mm lenses.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/trioplan_100mm_f2_8/

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/trioplan_100mm_f2_8_exa/

Last edited by Attila on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my tests, optical scheme is probably the same. Difference is only mechanical and number of aperture blades.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My N has only 6 straight aperture blades

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience matches Attila's i.e. the N version is sharper and without the crazy bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
From my tests, optical scheme is probably the same. Difference is only mechanical and number of aperture blades.

So you have the pronounced soap bubble bokeh with the N version too (when used wideopen)?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my older comparison (my contrast torture test) on crop camera. Wide open, bokeh looks same for all versions. Just for comparison, I added Pentacon 2.8/100. Except contrast, I don't see any difference between the tree Trioplans. Stopped down bokeh of N version is ruined by 6 blades aperture.

@f2.8 old EXA V 120xxxx

@f2.8 M42 without V 256xxxx

@f2.8 EXA N 351xxxx

@f2.8 Pentacon 2.8/100

Stopped down:

@f5.6 old EXA V 120xxxx

@f5.6 M42 without V 256xxxx

@f5.6 EXA N 351xxxx

@f5.6 Pentacon 2.8/100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in every shooting situation get unique bokeh , rendering from a Trioplan lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand Attila. All Trioplans show typical edged bokeh with flare wide-open. Pentacon is much smoother with very well suppressed flare (best Meyer lens ever made for me).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you BRrunner!
Seems like all Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8 versions have this bokeh rendering style - used wideopen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison shots BRunner. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that 100mm Pentacon just sat me down though i was sitting already Smile. You obviously have great copy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BRunner...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, Interesting comparison thank-you BRunner. I note the dramatic improvement in multi-coating, increasing contrast, though the actual sharpness is quite similar between them. Contrast affects perception of sharpness. Once contrast is restored to shots taken with older Trioplan, I guess it would appear much closer in this regard. If you feel up to it, perhaps show a 100% crop from Pentacon and M42, and try a sample with contrast (only) corrected with M42 - I'd be curious to see it.

The bokeh on the Pentacon is more even - smoother - in its edge highlighting, without the very fine, strong outlining. Ironically, as much stronger as it seems the Pentacon appears for general picture taking, it looks less interesting to me from a character stand-point. Much more normal, but to me this makes it compete with a lot of modern lenses available.

K.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!! on Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Yes, that 100mm Pentacon just sat me down though i was sitting already Smile. You obviously have great copy.

I have three copies. Two auto Pentacon versions, and one older Meyer preset 12 blade version and all perform equally well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Pancolart wrote:

I have three copies. Two auto Pentacon versions, and one older Meyer preset 12 blade version and all perform equally well.

+1
I have/had several copies too, all works fine same way. Built quality is very low , many of my lenses have faulties, but optical quality is first class.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what years these lens were made in? is the aluminium version older than the black one?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the black ones were made much later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My word, that Pentacon is stunning!