Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Q about adapting Helios-103
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Q about adapting Helios-103 Reply with quote

Hi,
I would like to try an Helios-103 on my Fuji camera (X mount). I am not an expert of the Contax RF mount, so a couple of questions.

I found this adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeenon-ZEISS-IKON-CONTAX-RF-FX-FUJIFILM-Adapter-macro-Style-A-/253326210067
Contax RF, Zeiss Ikon Contax RF, Contax Kiev RF are exactly the same mount, right?

Kipon makes a couple adapters for the purpose:
https://www.adorama.com/kafjxco.html
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kipon-Advanced-Adapter-for-Contax-RF-Rangefinder-Lens-to-Fuji-X-Pro1-X-E1-Camera/120982759942hash=item1c2b226a06:g:nl4AAOxypthRuszl

As much as I can understand from the pictures the first one comes without a diaphragm controlling ring, which makes it pretty useless, makes sense?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with this specific lens, but I had a Juptier-8 in Kiev/Contax mount. Do you need the adapter with the focusing unit for this lens? Many lenses in this mount do.

You can get these adapters much cheaper from Ukraine or Bulgaria. 190$, or even $70, is just nonsense for this adapter, unless you want to use this mount a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax RF, Zeiss Ikon Contax RF, Contax Kiev RF are exactly the same mount, right? yes

As much as I can understand from the pictures the first one comes without a diaphragm controlling ring, which makes it pretty useless, makes sense?
the lens itself has its own diaphragm controlling ring. for helios 103 you need the first adapter, with focus ring.
the 2nd is for longer lens which has it's own focus ring
Sjak is right, I got mine from Russia. or you can make your own adapter with kiev RF camera body

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax/Kiev/Nikkon RANGEFINDER mounts are as close to identical as makes no difference. They will all work identically on an adapted mirrorless camera. It isn''t worth getting into the minutia of the differences between them.

None of the Contax/Kiev/Nikon rangefinder lenses require an external aperture control. They all, including the Helios-103 (which is a very good lens by the way) have a standard aperture ring/control.

Where the confusion comes in is that the Contax/Kiev/Nikon NORMAL rangefinder lenses do not have a focusing ring. For these lenses the camera or the adapter provide the focusing helicoid. It is this precision helicoid that makes the adapters more expensive than most. Notice that I said this applies to the NORMAL lenses. All of the Contax/Kiev/Nikon wide angle and telephoto lenses contain their own focusing helicoids along with the aperture controls. You will see 'SIMPLE' adapters on the market that cost significantly less than the helicoid style. These will work fine with the wide angle and telephoto lenses.

One other thing. There are sellers on the market who take the mount from dead Kiev cameras and sell them modified to work on Fuji and Sony cameras. These are significantly less expensive than adapters machined from scratch. Some of these vendors also throw in a free lens. Here is an example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-KIEV-RF-to-Fuji-FX-adapter-with-focusing-part-GIFT-Jupiter-8m-2-50/323008669610?hash=item4b34d127aa:g:u5sAAOSwduNZ1LMC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this. can be useful:

http://ussrlens.com/adaptation/adapter-contax-rf

if you find "Kiev" with Helios-103, then you find half the adapter RF-fuji and lens. will only buy second half of the adapter - m39-fuji.

only for example (KievRF to NEX)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-Kiev-RF-NEX-adapter-focusing-part-Helios-103-Sony-Alpha-Nex-E-mount/273029586025?hash=item3f91d4dc69:g:BLUAAOSwXf1aX4xF

I plan to make such an adaptation in the next day or two days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 103 is a nice and very sharp lens.
It lacks contrast ( coating?) and suffers from flare.
50$ for an adapter , which is much more expensive than the lens itself, is ok . This lens deserves such an investment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that was very helpful.
Thanks everybody for their answers.

newst wrote:
Contax/Kiev/Nikkon RANGEFINDER mounts are as close to identical as makes no difference. They will all work identically on an adapted mirrorless camera. It isn''t worth getting into the minutia of the differences between them.

None of the Contax/Kiev/Nikon rangefinder lenses require an external aperture control. They all, including the Helios-103 (which is a very good lens by the way) have a standard aperture ring/control.

Where the confusion comes in is that the Contax/Kiev/Nikon NORMAL rangefinder lenses do not have a focusing ring. For these lenses the camera or the adapter provide the focusing helicoid. It is this precision helicoid that makes the adapters more expensive than most. Notice that I said this applies to the NORMAL lenses. All of the Contax/Kiev/Nikon wide angle and telephoto lenses contain their own focusing helicoids along with the aperture controls. You will see 'SIMPLE' adapters on the market that cost significantly less than the helicoid style. These will work fine with the wide angle and telephoto lenses.

One other thing. There are sellers on the market who take the mount from dead Kiev cameras and sell them modified to work on Fuji and Sony cameras. These are significantly less expensive than adapters machined from scratch. Some of these vendors also throw in a free lens. Here is an example...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Contax-KIEV-RF-to-Fuji-FX-adapter-with-focusing-part-GIFT-Jupiter-8m-2-50/323008669610?hash=item4b34d127aa:g:u5sAAOSwduNZ1LMC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharp lens, I've had no issue with my hacked Kiev helicoid adapter, no way I'd pay $100 for an adapter unless I had a big collection in this mount, which I don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Nice sharp lens, I've had no issue with my hacked Kiev helicoid adapter, no way I'd pay $100 for an adapter unless I had a big collection in this mount, which I don't.

The Kipon adapters are way overpriced, as usual. Yeenon makes very good adapters in my opinion. The one in my OP is expensive because it has a macro helicoid, which allows you to overcome the minimum focusing distance, which for this lens is a whopping 1m. Not good for those like me who do a lot of close-up photography.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

The only lenses which require such an adapter are those without helicoid : Jupiter 8 and 3 , Helios 103 . You can find the Jupiters in L 39 mount. So it is an adapter for the Helios.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can made or buy an adapter of internal bayonet to LTM like the one below, you can use it on all the MILC camera. The adapter should works on 50mm lenses from Nikon or Zeiss too. You can even pair it with a M mount helicoid adapter.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
If you can made or buy an adapter of internal bayonet to LTM like the one below, you can use it on all the MILC camera. The adapter should works on 50mm lenses from Nikon or Zeiss too. You can even pair it with a M mount helicoid adapter.
Click here to see on Ebay

Thanks, this is a great tip. I already have a LTM to Fuji adapter with macro helicoid, which I am using for the Jupiter 3.

Thanks again.
Like 1