Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Promicrol substitute formula
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at

photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm

The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in a letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane, who wrote that he found it in his collection of photographic literature.

Water 750ml
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide 8g
Parahydroxyphenyl glycin 11g
Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) 100g
Sodium carbonate 12g
Potassium bromide 0.5g
Water to make 1 litre

Adjust pH to 10.2 at 20C

Last edited by Chris Bishop on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:34 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

Chris Bishop wrote:
The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at
photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm

The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in at letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane, who wrote that he found it in his collection of photographic literature.

Water 750ml
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide 8g
Parahydroxyphenyl glycin 11g
Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) 100g
Sodium carbonate 12g
Potassium bromide 0.5g
Water to make 1 litre

Adjust pH to 10.2 at 20C

Hi and Welcome to the forum,thanks for posting this information I am sure it will come in handy.Not sure why the link is not working,I could copy and paste it into my browser and it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention Chris Bishop.

Chris, do you have any leads for suppliers of these chemicals? (Glycin,
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide etc)?
Thanks,
Ian
Queensland
Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozboz wrote:
Chris, do you have any leads for suppliers of these chemicals?

Sorry, I haven't. I no longer make up photographic preparations. Perhaps a compounding pharmacist might be able to help - there seem to be many of them in Brisbane, I recently passed one in Fortitude Valley. The Camera House chain of shops may be able to help - the Photoco one in Adelaide certainly supports film! Googling doesn't bring up any photo chemical shop in Qld, only http://www.walchoptics.com.au/ in Tas and http://www.vanbarphoto.com.au/ in Vic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

Chris Bishop wrote:
The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm. The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in at letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane,...

I have found my photocopy of A J Cross's letter, which goes on to say

These chemicals are available from
Canchem, Unit 1/11 Camfrod [sic] St, Milton Qld 4064 ...
Or try Van Bar Photographic Supplies ...

Googling suggests Canchem are no longer trading.