Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Primoplan 1.9/58 beaten up,missing blades and etched glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Primoplan 1.9/58 beaten up,missing blades and etched glass Reply with quote

Did I get your attention? Laughing

I bought this lens for $5 while in NZ recently, it had broken blades inside so I could not test it before I sent it away to be serviced.As you can see the body is rather ugly and you might as well say the glass elements were even uglier...etched,lots more fungus than I had ever had before on any lens,the repairman at first suggested I not bother with it because you did not know what the results may be when you actually take a image.

I googled for image samples taken with damaged glass,there was only a link back to this forum with Attlia's nikon lens with a cracked rear element HERE Now that is a worse case scenario!

I took a risk and had it repaired as best the guy could do with what he had (meaning the lens) 4 blades were removed due to being broken,The smallest F stop is now 5,6 (it has been fixed at this F stop to prevent any more damage because of the missing blades),the glass he said cleaned up better than expected. The outside of the lens remained ugly...or full of character as I like to think Very Happy
The lens
1)

2) The newly arranged blades plus a bonus hair

3) Damaged Glass

4) Damaged Glass

5) No damage??? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two quick test shots,I deliberately kept out of direct sunlight...filtered light under the trees. I will be taking some more images with this lens.
F5.6

F1.9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all, Moïra. Very Happy

For special occasions. Artistic and creative photography.
I Wonder what style it would offer in light, especially with a special bokeh star shape due to the missing blades.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see portraits with this! I think it would be perfect Very Happy
Looks a bit creepy (the lens) but works, I guess.
Cheers
Timo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier,it's an ugly shape, I will post up some images for you to look at tomorrow my time.I don't expect fantastic results but I expect some creative results...I just have to do my best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice catch! Very Happy
Luckily it seems more abused cosmetically than optically!
Results too GOOD for price Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find Moira.
Great results.
The Common - no(?).......... too much slope(?)
OH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Very nice find Moira.
Great results.
The Common - no(?).......... too much slope(?)
OH

Backyard Laughing

I think for the repair price + the $5 it was a fair price to have a primoplan to play with....even though it has issues requires a lot of PP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass problem is the worst thing, you are right about lighting issues. Most of it seems to be just coating problems, unless you also have heavy scratching.
Min aperture of f/5.6 is no great loss, thats probably as small as you want to go on APS-C
And there are much cheaper more conventional lenses that will work just fine at f/8-f/11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor lens, from now I will send this post to all 'smart ass' who is worrying about a single small mark Smile thank you to sharing !

Last edited by Attila on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can describe it as fungus etching and not scratches, but I have not had a close look internally to note the difference.

For those of you who are in Australia and want to know the repairman I use, here is his website,I can reccommend him for his work AND he communicates very well and answers any questions.

http://www.cameracheckpoint.com.au/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Pure lens, from now I will send this post to all 'smart ass' who is worrying about a single small mark Smile thank you to sharing !

Thank you Very Happy That's why I posted it, as there are not many examples taken with "damaged" glass. I know the glass does affect the final image but PP does help a lot. I am happy with this lens the way it is...some may not be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can re-polish alu tube easily with available metal cleaner from supermarket, will be never look new, but no this battered either,worth to try it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the nice find Mo - This is a very fine lens for portraits and flowers.
I don't think that the damage on the glass is critical.
Have fun with it Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila I may try it and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of my lenses looking as... awesome Very Happy

if the lens is good, minor 'cosmetics' wont make it a looser.
i have a few beautiful, but awfully image: not sharp, not even, glow and flare like hell, ca, pf, non existing contrast...
i feel guilty if i give them to anyone... but they do serve as toys...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree minor cosmetics won't make it a loser
This lens was on a FX camera that was in worse condition than the lens, it was sitting on top of a cupboard (I almost missed it ) in a dusty antique junk shop...the prices were negotiable, he said $5 I said yes Laughing If he had not said $5.00 I wonder if I would have bought it, as to look at it...it was not nice.

Some samples of the back ground highlights,taken 10/2
Wide open...bubbles

F5.6 ugly highlights

Some taken this morning both F 5.6 using available light and with PP adjustments.
Tired kitty

Playing with the light

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Moïra.
I like #1.

3 and 4 are great indoor shots and prove it is a portrait winner.
You did a very fine job. Smile

There are some lenses with which I feel very at ease and have a special affection for them, without knowing why.
Some are not in perfect shape, or needed I service them, and I like them very much.

It seems the same with you and your survivor. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly duckling has turned into a swan.
Well done Moira.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I agree minor cosmetics won't make it a loser
This lens was on a FX camera that was in worse condition than the lens, it was sitting on top of a cupboard (I almost missed it ) in a dusty antique junk shop...the prices were negotiable, he said $5 I said yes Laughing If he had not said $5.00 I wonder if I would have bought it, as to look at it...it was not nice.

Some samples of the back ground highlights,taken 10/2
Wide open...bubbles

That's a great image, you know that the wooden gate is sharp, or at least could be sharp if the lens was in good shape. But the softness is better, it adds something to the image that's hard to define. I like it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Poor lens, from now I will send this post to all 'smart ass' who is worrying about a single small mark Smile thank you to sharing !

+1

I'm not surprised at all with the capable results.
I had an industar 61LZ with one internal coating completely destroyed and even with that ugly looking element the results were very good. Probably a small loss in contrast, if some at all.
At the moment I have a nikkor 35-105 with a badly chipped front element which was given because the previous owner thought it would appear on the images and he was about to throw it to a bin...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Olivier, I do like saving the old lenses, most of my lenses have some cosmetic problem or small fungus marks. I have "soft spots" for many of my lenses especially the pancolar 2/50,they are a pure joy to use.

I agree Lloydy,there is a "smoothness" to the edges of the gate that I like.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats have a soothing effect on lenses, it seems, not just on people.

I just love this picture - and the cat.
[/quote]

Be sure to reward Puss for his/her part in your lens evaluation programme Wink

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is my best model and challenge,a sleeping cat is easy to photograph (I won't say shoot) They beguile you with their cuteness then assert their demanding ways...wait a minute that sounds familiar... Laughing

I am named after my cat, mo.