Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Praktica B mount: difference between Zeiss or not Zeiss?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Praktica B mount: difference between Zeiss or not Zeiss? Reply with quote

Hi folks, I need to know if there are substancial differences between Zeiss and non Zeiss lens in PB mount,
perhaps depends only on name CZJ printed on the lens?
Who knows this?
Thanks in advance to all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena P lenses are Pentacon lenses, Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar lenses are original CZJ designed lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ManualFocus-G
I have one marked: Carl Zeiss Jena P 1:2.8 135 MC
I assume is only a Pentacon due to the "P" mark(I was hoping it was an original CZJ)
The other one of mine is only marked: Prakticar 2.8/135 Pentacon

So there is another CZJ without "P", that is in the original optical scheme lens?

Thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 135/2.8 was labelled as both Pentacon and Carl Zeiss Jena P = same lens. The 135/3.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar is the real Carl Zeiss Sonnar lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind which one is Jena or Pentacon all primes are great lenses! Zooms all come from Japan except Vario-Pancolar which is made in Jena. Zooms quality can be vary, usually acceptable even cheapest ones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of later Prakticar primes, they are made in Japan, either by Sigma or Cosina.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Beware of later Prakticar primes, they are made in Japan, either by Sigma or Cosina.

These lenses have neither Pentacon or Carl Zeiss Jena written on them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

28mm is OK. What about 2.8/135mm? Any other primes sold as Prakticars?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

These lenses have neither Pentacon or Carl Zeiss Jena written on them.

+1 these lenses labeled to Prakticar only I had 24mm about Tamron 24mm quality, pretty crap.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some do have Pentacon written on them. I have a 1.8/50 that says Pentacon on it but also says made in Japan.

The Sigma 2.8/28 is also seen labelled Pentacon Prakticar. I have a Sigma 2.8/135 in PB mount too, that one is labelled Pentacon too. I also have a 35-70 and 70-210 labelled Pentacon Prakticar that were made by Sigma. These Sigmas are pretty crap and to be avoided.

Here are my Pentacon 1.8/50s, left hand one is Meyer Oreston 1.8/50, middle two are Pentacon 1.8/50s, one on right is the made in Japan one.

Sigma made 2.8/135, worst 135 I own by a fair margin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Carl Zeiss Jena Prakticar lenses are original CZJ designed lenses.

Or "aus Jena"

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Here are my Pentacon 1.8/50s, left hand one is Meyer Oreston 1.8/50, middle two are Pentacon 1.8/50s, one on right is the made in Japan one.

I think the last one it is not made in Japan; it is the third version of the 50mm 1.8 Pentacon, somewhat cheaper made (plastic and MFD increased from 33cm to 45cm Oreston/Pentacon, made in GDR.

May be Koji, our expert in Prakticars here, can give more info? http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/57723091

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, as already stated, the Pentacon Prakticar thing doesn't hold true for zooms. I've never seen an M42 lens with both Pentacon AND Prakticar written on it btw.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've never seen an M42 lens with both Pentacon AND Prakticar written on it btw.

Doh! That didn't take long! Laughing