Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Portrait of Sarah Bernhardt (1859) (wet collodion)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Portrait of Sarah Bernhardt (1859) (wet collodion) Reply with quote

Hello:

I show them one of my favorite portraits: the French actress Sarah Bernhardt photographed with the procedure of the wet colodion in 1859.

An expert photographer could obtain with this skill results equal or superior to those of better films current BW.
The photo was taken almost with complete certainty with a Petzval lens, since the aplanat, rectilinear or symmetrical, they were not patented until the following year.

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from the very beginning photography had this quality

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting. such smooth shoulder and facial skin, yet her right hand seems to belong to a hard-working peasant ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply stunning. Without going into a film / digital debate, i wonder if this kind of picture could be achieved with nowadays stuuf, but i doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredible! Where do you found this pic? Somebody knows Nadar here? He was also really good portraitist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great document!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello:

If; I know Nadar, but in the French printed book approximately 40 years ago, have not found the author of this magnificent portrait. Clearly Sarah Bernhardt only must be photographed for the best photographers.

I see that the skill of the wet colodion has not died and that there are still photographers who take photos with this skill.

http://www.collodion.com/

Bests Regards: David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are portraits of her by Nadar with the same setting but from different angles. It must be Nadar.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Sarah at those different poses. Gorgeous. I found that portrait by his name. Then I suppose that must be him too.
His selfportrait... btw charming man.