Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst Tele MC Auto 135 mm 1:1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Porst Tele MC Auto 135 mm 1:1.8 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with this lens? What's itching me to go for this lens is that it would be in effect 270mm tele on my Oly e-520 with 1.8 aperture

also can someone tell me how many stops lens loses when using 2x teleconverter?

http://freenet-homepage.de/stauber/mamiya-nc/m42_porst_135_1.8.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a 135/1.8 by Porst. Depending on the price, I wouldn't hesitate for a second Very Happy

Regarding a teleconverter, I believe the convention is you double the f-stop number, so it would be the equivalent of f3.6.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this lens, got it from my father. I sold it to finance my first "new" manual lenses.

My father said: this is not good.

And so it was: full of halos and koma, very weak full open (aka portrait lens). Plenty of CA. Or to say it in other words: "very special".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawhead wrote:
Wow, a 135/1.8 by Porst. Depending on the price, I wouldn't hesitate for a second Very Happy

current price is 2299 kuna (that's 315€ or 442$, and it won't go up because it's in classifieds not an auction site)

rawhead wrote:
Regarding a teleconverter, I believe the convention is you double the f-stop number, so it would be the equivalent of f3.6.

so that would make it 540mm 3.6

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty expensive for something you may not even be able to use wide open anyway Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:

And so it was: full of halos and koma, very weak full open (aka portrait lens). Plenty of CA. Or to say it in other words: "very special".

well off course it would , with 82mm diameter of the front element and 1.8 aperture too much light would go into it making it "very weak full open", so you stop it down during the daylight, and when light is gone , use it wide open in low light and at night

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got the Sigma 1.8/135 and in bright sunlight you see a lot of CAs and Halos. But 1.8 is not for bright light Laughing
When you stop down to 2.8 it is crisp and nice. Ideal for portaits wide open or stopped down in the shade or cloudy sky.
In low light it is perfect and the low contrast can be adjusted via postprocess.
One of my favourite ANTI-WRINKLE portrait lenses - it smoothes wrikles with the result of a baby skin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens (Spiraton label). The lens is better at f/1.8 than some regarded 50mm lenses at f/1.2 or some 80mm lenses at f/1.8, so it's very subjective.

It's hard to focus with it, because DOF is extremely shallow and many shots can be wasted. But if you focus properly, the results aren't bad.

Check the first picture:
http://forum.mflenses.com/common-flowers-t17435.html

It doesn't make sense to use this lens stopped down, because it doesn't improve performance very much (any slow 135mm lens will be better at f/4). But it's a good tool for low-light situation or bokeh shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some bright light samples from my Sigma XQ 1.8/135 with 1.8

Sample A

Crop1

Crop2

Sample B

Crop 1

Crop 2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Porst 135/1.8 but I have Sigma 135mm f1.8. It works great.

f1.8

f2.8

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those beautiful ladies! Thank you very much! This is real test for 135mm 1.8 Wink I agree this is a great lens with any label , due they are same lenses made by Sigma.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 5 €-cents Rolling Eyes

- 300€ is imho far too expensive for this lense
- even if your will be lucky to get one that is performing decent wide open you will have to stop down at least 2 stops to have a decent performance with a good 2x converter ... (bringing you from 1.8 to 3.5 with the converter and then up to f6.5 for decent performance)

In short: I wouldn't take it at that price ... the latest eBay sales have been around 200€ for "as new", so personally I would say 150€ yay! More than 200€ nay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porst is a newer lens. I think that older version Sigmatel, Sigma, Spiratone, Polaris 1.8/135 is pretty good even wide open - depends on condition of the copy.
Polaris wide open, without sharpening (as I remember)

Bokeh like from the dream

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this Porst lens in good condition on a German Fair, selling for EUR150 ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the same lens 2 months ago, mine is branded Eyemik. It is the same lens as the Spiratone and Porst. I have to agree that this lens has the best results in low light situations. I use mine with Oly E-1 a nice balanced combination. Concerning the price. I got very lucky to buy my lens for just 30 Euros. Price on internet up to USD 300.

Regards, Cliff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voytek wrote:
Porst is a newer lens. I think that older version Sigmatel, Sigma, Spiratone, Polaris 1.8/135 is pretty good even wide open - depends on condition of the copy.

The pictured Porst has exactly the same barrel as my M42 Spiratone 135/1.8, which should be a bit older, than the YS Spiratone 135/1.8...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voytek, nice pics. Very good lens.

What about the old soligor 135/1,8 (the ugly girl of the group?)

In other forum i read that it was a tomioka (??) design, and then so-so at 1,8.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I have this lens (Spiraton label). The lens is better at f/1.8 than some regarded 50mm lenses at f/1.2 or some 80mm lenses at f/1.8, so it's very subjective.

It's hard to focus with it, because DOF is extremely shallow and many shots can be wasted. But if you focus properly, the results aren't bad.

Check the first picture:
http://forum.mflenses.com/common-flowers-t17435.html

It doesn't make sense to use this lens stopped down, because it doesn't improve performance very much (any slow 135mm lens will be better at f/4). But it's a good tool for low-light situation or bokeh shots.

I have the Y/S mount Sigmatel Multi Scalematic 135mm f1.8 and with this lens it actually does makes a big difference if you stop it down a bit...Its best between f4 and f5.6 and it makes an excellent short wildlife lens at these apertures.
Heres some samples and 100% crops taken at f4 and f5.6:

I think the Porst is different in optical makeup to my Sigmatel as its certainly not the same mechanically, so it may not be quite as good stopped down.

Last edited by DSG on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Great shots, congrats!!

Thanks Klaus. Very Happy