Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst 55/1.2 fast normal lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Porst 55/1.2 fast normal lens Reply with quote

I like lenses with smooth, dreamy rendition, like dedicated soft lenses or ultra fast lenses used wide open. One of my favorite is the 85/1.5 Helios 40-2.

I just received a Porst 55/1.2 lens in Pentax K mount. It seems to be the same lens as the Tomioka/Yashinon/Rikenon/Revuenon 55/1.2, but it goes for much less money. The lens seems nicely built and the rings operate smoothly. The glass is pristine and the first pictures look OK.

Here are two pictures taken wide open (F/1.2) with a Pentax K10D in my backyard:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Porst line ever came in a Nikon mount? These lenses are virtually impossible to find here in the US, but I know some have enviable reputations.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porst was a mail order house in Western Germany they bought from different vendors different lenses like Vivitar in the USA. Almost all ports are average or below average I know only good ones what are made by Tomioka. I never seen other than in M42 mount.Perhaps Carsten has more knowledge about them. Currently I am selling a Tomioka made 1.4 /55mm lens with M42 mount, this is good as 1.4 Nikkor or slightly worst at wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Almost all ports are average or below average I know only good ones what are made by Tomioka.

The Porst 135/1.8 lens (made by Tomioka and also sold under the Soligor, Vivitar and Spiratone brands) is the other interesting lens of the lot, in my humble opinion. It's not very sharp wide open, but sooo smooooth...

Attila wrote:
I never seen other than in M42 mount.

The Porst lenses are available in Pentax K mount.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Attila wrote:
Almost all ports are average or below average I know only good ones what are made by Tomioka.

The Porst 135/1.8 lens (made by Tomioka and also sold under the Soligor, Vivitar and Spiratone brands) is the other interesting lens of the lot, in my humble opinion. It's not very sharp wide open, but sooo smooooth...

Attila wrote:
I never seen other than in M42 mount.

The Porst lenses are available in Pentax K mount.

True. The 1.2/55 Porst is also available in Pentax K. You don't see it often though. I managed to buy one at a camera fair a year or two back. It's quite heavy so it's not my first of choice 50mm lense, but for concerts and other low light situations I like it a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always learn something, many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Attila is right. Porst lenses were sold by a shop chain called "Photo Porst" (makes sense, doesn't it? Wink)

They had their Porst branded lenses produced by different manufacturers, first with M42-mount, later, when they changed their cams to PK-mounts, they sold lenses with PK-mount.

You can find all levels of quality and performance within these lenses, from very good to complete rubbish. Often their finish is not professional, of course, they sold because of the low price!

But they made fast lenses affordable. I have got a Porst 1.8/35 which is my fastest 35mm lens, just usable wide open (but soft and with a "glow" around highlights) but rather good when stopped down a little.

It is hard to tell who manufactured a certain lens. Sometimes you can guess if you know what it looks like and how many lenses/elements you can find in the lens.

Generally, they go for rather little money, since they do not have a good reputation - which is wrong when generalized!

If you can find a Porst lens for a good price, go for it and try, you will not lose a lot. Wink Perhaps you are even surprised!