Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Poor man's Macro-Micro Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Poor man's Macro-Micro Camera Reply with quote

Well, take at least 8Mb digital compact - you can snatch it for under 10 EUR on Ebay. Try to get one with low ISO / small noise possibility.

Unscrew (pull off) top lens. Try not to interfere with mechanism since in 80% camera will die. You will retain strange AF capability and get micro possibility.

ZOOM-out to max. Take photos. AGFA DC-833m (no post-production, just resize, hendheld (amateur way), half size crop).

Leg of a small spider

Small leaf of probably Carnivorous plant

Probably well known bug (i don't know which)

Some well known bug's internal anatomy (with flash)

Cotton swab detail

1 Cent EURO coin detail

5 EURO paper banknote detail (prohibited use for forgery manuals)

Colored Pencil's detail (plus saturation)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat idea. Now where can I find a compact camera and try.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are sold in packages of 10 on Ebay Wink. You might try searching for defects like scratched lens front glass but otherwise fully working.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
They are sold in packages of 10 on Ebay Wink. You might try searching for defects like scratched lens front glass but otherwise fully working.

So no lens Shocked ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, just first glass removed. I think at least two remained but both near chip and very small.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Oh no, just first glass removed. I think at least two remained but both near chip and very small.

Ah okay, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant post!

You have just rendered the photo industry as regards high end macros overpriced and way too complicated! Smile

Good find. I encountered it too, with a dodgy lens I bought as good. So a more expensive way of accomplishing the same thing. Focussing is done by moving the camera or the subject as it is required to make a large adjustment for even small focus movements. By using a medium cost lens like the one I bought, there is also a chance of greater depth of field, with a controllable aperture, but at the magnifications you very skilfully and luckily achieved, it would not make a very significant difference.

Very nice photos for the price!

What lighting did you use? It looks very natural.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pat. Flash on one photo mentioned otherwise available natural light. The only bad thing is low ISO has to be used to reduce noise on compacts. Additional light would improve results.