Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Planar or Summicron?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Hoan,you can use the smiley as well.. Laughing Thanks for the compliment. Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I've decided to stay with my Minolta 50.17, is pretty sharp (at least sharper than the contax zeiss 50/1.7 at wide apertures) and can take this pic:

and I've also ordered the Zenitar M2S, it was so cheap...

both was suggested by Ian Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:
Finally I've decided to stay with my Minolta 50.17, is pretty sharp (at least sharper than the contax zeiss 50/1.7 at wide apertures) and can take this pic:

and I've also ordered the Zenitar M2S, it was so cheap...

both was suggested by Ian Very Happy

The difference of many modern double Gauss 50s are small. If you say these two photos are taken with a planar, most people might not discover they are takn with a rokkor. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys, you can answer way this lenses is naked?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun thread !

I've just acquired a West Germany Carl Zeiss Planar 1.8/50 HFT and 1.4/50 HFT...
I've yet to try them....

@ Klaus
member should know you became wise only after acquiring a zillion lenses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired the 1.8/50 and 1.4/50 HFT Planars too. I'm looking forward to comparing them to my Jena MC Pancolars 1.8/50 and 1.4/50

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most interesting as the Pancolar 1.4 is uncommon...
Looking forward to see it !

Here are good words for the Planar HFT 1.4/50
http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/rollei/Rolleilenses.htm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jena lenses are late Prakticar bayonet models, they aren't actually labelled Pancolars, but that is what they are. The 1.8 is actually much less common than the 1.4. I'll include the Pentacon 1.8/50 Prakticar in the test too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I recently acquired the 1.8/50 and 1.4/50 HFT Planars too. I'm looking forward to comparing them to my Jena MC Pancolars 1.8/50 and 1.4/50

I will be careful. Your opinion will be interesting. In my tests, the HFT 50/1.4 was indistinguishable in all hits to Canon FD 50 /1.4. The Zeiss 50/1.8 against Minolta MC 55/1.7 PF offered differences between them, but neither was a clear winner. None beat to Hexanon AR 50/1.7 in sharpness (or perceived sharpness) at f2.8.

Happy shots!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

The difference of many modern double Gauss 50s are small. If you say these two photos are taken with a planar, most people might not discover they are takn with a rokkor. Wink

I would even go further. Most people would not be able to find out the real lens behind a picture if not known in advance. In other words: If you state that a picture has been captured by a 2.000 $ lens most people would say that this is a wonderful lens, even if in reality it was only a 20 $ lens. That's psychology. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

I would even go further. Most people would not be able to find out the real lens behind a picture if not known in advance. In other words: If you state that a picture has been captured by a 2.000 $ lens most people would say that this is a wonderful lens, even if in reality it was only a 20 $ lens. That's psychology. Wink

this is also how wine tasting goes Smile https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/quilted-science/201002/does-price-tag-have-taste

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enzodm wrote:
tb_a wrote:

this is also how wine tasting goes Smile https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/quilted-science/201002/does-price-tag-have-taste

I know that very well, as I love very good and not necessarily expensive wines. Especially in your country you get very good ones for little money! Wink
Same is true for almost everything and it's also an old marketing strategy or let's better say trick.
Like the China produced original designer polo shirts all coming out of one production lane and at the end just different brand tags are affixed which generate different prices for the identical product. I am not talking about the fakes!
Same story with some German produced cars out of the same famous holding belonging to an Austrian family. Just a different brand on the almost same car result in a far higher price. Wink
Or the HIFI cable trick in the audio appliances industry... and so forth....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
About Rollei ,many people say that the Rollei Planar HfT 50 1.8 also sold under Voigtländer Ultron is the best Planar of those times , better than the C/Y. Difficult to judge such statements. This lens is not difficult to find.

From my very limited perspective I would agree with that. I had two 1.8/50 mm Planars, both in in Rollei QBM mount. One with Carl Zeiss label and one with Rollei. Both were pretty much on par and very nice when used wide open. I also have a 1.7/50 Planar in C/Y. On an APS-C mirrorless I liked the 1.8/50 mms more in terms of wide open sharpeness and contrast.