Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Philips SK "S" 100mm f1.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Philips SK "S" 100mm f1.5 Reply with quote

Hi there. Want to share my experience with users who interested in fast projection lenses.

Have no idea for what puproses it's used. From ebay seller found this lens use Petzval optical scheme.

Back diameter is 64mm, my local turner reduced it to 62.5mm, same size as wide amount of projection lens such as Visionar, 35KP, Lomo, Rodenstock and etc.

For my Sony a7 I bought another NEX-m42 adapter, chinese helicoid ring 17-31mm. My metal turner cut from aluminium final part of adapter with 4 holes from the sides and m6 screws to tight any projection lens in it. Already tried 35KP 100 1.8, Visionar 100 1.6, Lomo 90 2.0 - works great!

Back to Philips lens.

Some sample shots I made.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some great shots with that lens. I have a projector lens and the same helical. Perhaps I ought to give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I like that a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice lens, indeed, but very little documented.
AFAIK, SK comes from "Schnider Kreuznach" and I presume it is a Schnider-made Phillips projection lens. If anybody knows more about SK Phillips lenses it will be nice to share as very little (if any at all) information is available on internet.

Are you sure it is a Petzval optical scheme lens? I've noticed that lately the internet sellers use "Petzval type" as a description for some projection lenses in an improper and abusive manner. Petzval seams to be "en vogue" and sells better.Very Happy
I'm asking because I have a Phillips SK 90mm f/2, looking very similar with yours, and mine is a Double-Gauss type (I've dismantled mine).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dan here, I actually doubt that such a modern lens is a "Petzval design"!!
Double Gauss with freestanding lenses (uncemented = heat tolerant) is the current standard.
The lens' drawing reminds me of the Visionar I'm using (often), also a double Gauss scheme.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only ebay seller information "PETZVAL, CINE, 70MM", - it's exact copy from the lot information. Google gives nothing.
Today I found ISCO Optic lenses very familiar with my Philips - overall design, font type - https://www.google.by/search?q=isco+optic&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=895&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bc0wVZKuNoq7ygPFoIGwBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=isco+kiptar
So I assume this lens made by ISCO for Philips, right?
Went to ISCO Optic website and write an email to their tech support, hope they can give me some useful information.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
A very nice lens, indeed, but very little documented.
AFAIK, SK comes from "Schnider Kreuznach" and I presume it is a Schnider-made Phillips projection lens.

You right, just found on ISCO website this http://www.isk-optics.de/index.php?id=37&tx_mininews_pi1[showUid]=5&cHash=ede7e2da72
"About one year ago, the Schneider Group, a global leader in the production of high-precision lenses, took over the operations of ISCO based in Göttingen"

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like your shots with it. One question though... No focus ring? How do you focus then -with your feet?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fully functional helicoid on this adapter. You can see black ring with ribbons. It's telescoping from 17 to 31mm, which giving infinity and macro for my 62.5mm projection lenses. You can get such helicoid on eBay.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of new shots made with Philips lens

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!! Retro look, I like that!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not Petzval. SK stands for 'Super Kiptar' - only coincidentally Schneider-Kreuznach. Philips rebranded Isco lenses for several decades.
During some of that time Isco was a standalone company, or at least on sabbatical from their tempestuously on-off relationship with Schneider.