Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Spotmatic SP500
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Pentax Spotmatic SP500 Reply with quote

Very nice camera I just revieved off Ebay for $10.50 plus $9.50 shipping. Pentax wanted an entrance level SLR so they changed the SP1000 stamp on top to SP500 and changed the marking on the speed setting dial from a 1000 top shutter speed to a 500 top shutter speed. The SP1000 and the SP 500 are identical except for those 2 changes. So you can turn the SP500's shutter speed dial one click past 500 and you get 1000.

I need to do some minor clean up but it is in super nice condition. It came with the Super Takumar 55mm f/2 lens which should sell all by itself for around 30-50 dollars. Really a very nice deal. I was blessed to get this at that low price.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that's a great price - and the SP500 / SP1000 are my favorites - I don't miss the timer switch, and they retain the original prism hump.

I've found that just about every mechanical Pentax shutter from those days will be capping when it's cold or the shutter speed is fast.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Congrats, that's a great price - and the SP500 / SP1000 are my favorites - I don't miss the timer switch, and they retain the original prism hump.

I've found that just about every mechanical Pentax shutter from those days will be capping when it's cold or the shutter speed is fast.

Thanks Jussi. My K1000 is still my favorite film SLR but my SP, SP F and now this one are close seconds. You can feel the quality if you hold one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Pentax, the Japanese Leica. Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful to use. Cut me in half, I have Pentax written right through me. There's no need for any other maker to exist. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Ahh Pentax, the Japanese Leica. Beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful to use. Cut me in half, I have Pentax written right through me. There's no need for any other maker to exist. Cool

I feel that way too but I still like my DX6490....don't you?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Heck yes! Kodak excelled themselves with that one. Good enough to be a Pentax, IMHO Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Heck yes! Kodak excelled themselves with that one. Good enough to be a Pentax, IMHO Cool

My granddaughter is still using mine every day. One really great little camera.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Big Dawg;
the old pentax cameras are truly wonderful machines.
I remember that i bought a camera just like the one you have and
it also had a little dent in the prism housing. After getting the pictures
back from the first roll I noticed that the low light/wide open shots
were very out of focus but I remember being very careful to focus
on the eyes. While pondering what could be wrong I measured out
exactly ten feet and focused. Checking the distance scale on the lens
I noted that it was way off of ten feet. Problem solved but I at least
got to keep the good 55/1.8 lens that was on that faulty body. I
believe that the prism was out of alignment causing error focus.
To summarize... I hope this camera works out for you and that
you do not have the same problem I did.

Wish you well on these winter holidays
GM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmonkman1 wrote:
Hello Big Dawg;
the old pentax cameras are truly wonderful machines.
I remember that i bought a camera just like the one you have and
it also had a little dent in the prism housing. After getting the pictures
back from the first roll I noticed that the low light/wide open shots
were very out of focus but I remember being very careful to focus
on the eyes. While pondering what could be wrong I measured out
exactly ten feet and focused. Checking the distance scale on the lens
I noted that it was way off of ten feet. Problem solved but I at least
got to keep the good 55/1.8 lens that was on that faulty body. I
believe that the prism was out of alignment causing error focus.
To summarize... I hope this camera works out for you and that
you do not have the same problem I did.

Wish you well on these winter holidays
GM

Thanks for that info GM. I too hope it is focusing correctly. I'll see soon as I intend to run a roll of film through it this weekend. And Happy Holidays to you as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd still have mine if it had interchangeable corrective eyepieces. such a well-handling machine ...[/code]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
i'd still have mine if it had interchangeable corrective eyepieces. such a well-handling machine ...[/code]

They are a little harder to see the focus. I get by with mine but that is the one thing that sometimes causes a bad photo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

Such parts do exists but are quite rare, I only have one or two of them...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

1. Spotmatic viewfinder accessories, such as right-angle finder and magnifying eyepiece, fit my Canon K2 (film), 350D, and 5Dc cameras.

2. Canon makes eyepiece diopters

3. Very Happy Question

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

1. Spotmatic viewfinder accessories, such as right-angle finder and magnifying eyepiece, fit my Canon K2 (film), 350D, and 5Dc cameras.

3. Very Happy Question

So...ones made for the Canon would fit the Spotmatic?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question

That is the question. Seems likely! I don't have any Canon accessories to try it. Surely somebody here could tell us, somebody with a Canon RA finder and a Spotmatic, for example. Anybody?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question
Ooh, that's encouraging news Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question

I have a few, but only one is the original version for SPotmatics. The others are for the M series cameras, which have a slightly bigger eyepiece frame, so they are loose on the Spotmatic and often fall off.

Because the right ones are so hard to find, I've made several correction lenses myself, cut from a pair of old reading glasses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13568

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question

I have a few, but only one is the original version for SPotmatics. The others are for the M series cameras, which have a slightly bigger eyepiece frame, so they are loose on the Spotmatic and often fall off.

Because the right ones are so hard to find, I've made several correction lenses myself, cut from a pair of old reading glasses.
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=13568

Damn I keep forgetting to do this, and only the other day threw a pair away Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question

That is the question. Seems likely! I don't have any Canon accessories to try it. Surely somebody here could tell us, somebody with a Canon RA finder and a Spotmatic, for example. Anybody?

Canon eyepiece accessories are compatible. Here is my Spotmatic SP and Canon Angle Finder C.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
CarbonR wrote:
fish4570 wrote:

Idea

3. Very Happy Question

Canon eyepiece accessories are compatible. Here is my Spotmatic SP and Canon Angle Finder C.

Thanks Edgar. Looks like that is the way to go. The Canon eyepiece won't infect my Pentax will it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the camera, but you will certainly get a dose of Canon-cooties

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have one of those angle finders for my eos let alone my Spotmatic Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax Spotmatic SP500 Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Very nice camera I just revieved off Ebay for $10.50 plus $9.50 shipping. Pentax wanted an entrance level SLR so they changed the SP1000 stamp on top to SP500 and changed the marking on the speed setting dial from a 1000 top shutter speed to a 500 top shutter speed. The SP1000 and the SP 500 are identical except for those 2 changes. So you can turn the SP500's shutter speed dial one click past 500 and you get 1000.
[url=http://forum.m

Don't be so sure. I would say the shutter speed above 1/500 is probably ungoverned. It's not marked because it isn't intended to be used.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgar, wow, that Spottie looks in great shape! Have you refurbished it? The chrome top is gleaming and the black paintwork on the base looks brand new! They really look the biz when they're clean and shiny like that. don't they? Many congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax Spotmatic SP500 Reply with quote

FluffPuppy wrote:
Big Dawg wrote:
[url=http://forum.m

Don't be so sure. I would say the shutter speed above 1/500 is probably ungoverned. It's not marked because it isn't intended to be used.

I'll do a comparison as soon as I get my SP1000 seen about. It has a wrinkled shutter fabric.