Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax PK bayonet 1.4/50mm alternatives: CHINON COSINA RICOH
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's some older shots with the Agfa Color and the XR Rikenon. Not artistic shots, just playing with lenses.

Agfa

Rikenon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich colors, fine bokeh, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last sample of afga, very amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you know who made these, is it just guesswork?

How do you explain this lens I have, labelled Chinon but with a barrel marked the same as the supposed Cosinas?

Or is it just a coincidence this lens is marked up in exactly the same way as the 'Cosina'?

Whoever made it, it's a crappy lens, worst 50-ish lens I've used apart from the dreaded Domiplan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon did not produce their lenses themselves, it's a rebrander. So it's not uncommon that they can be found in different designs.

I've had several 55mm Chinon versions, but never a bad one, my guess is there must be something wrong with yours.
Besides that: this thread is about the 50mm versions.

@pancolart:
Which reminds me.... i do have the Revuenon 50mm version you have in the first pics. Somehow it's just been sitting on a camera on my shelf and has never been used. It's a PK mount, i will take some shots with it soon!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian your CHINON M42 is typical 1.4/55mm Tomioka, quite older then my posted COSINA PK 1.4/50mm. My guess is that at start Tomioka supplied complete 1.4/55mm lenses. Later both Cosina and CHINON produce bodies themselves, possibly with inserted Tomioka optical block. With PK 1.4/50mm COSINA presumably broke ties with Tomioka history. RED dot DOF scale markings are found on many different lenses even Fuji and Olympus.

Better question is PK CHINON 1.4/50mm since it retained Tomioka's flat rear element!
Though i had them both disassembled i sadly didn't compare at the time. That is still to be done. Maybe member Nukemall has some opinion.

TrueLoveOne wrote:
@pancolart:
Which reminds me.... i do have the Revuenon 50mm version you have in the first pics. Somehow it's just been sitting on a camera on my shelf and has never been used. It's a PK mount, i will take some shots with it soon!

Splendid. Please do.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, it's clearly a very different lens to these 1.4/50 PKs, which look very nice to my eyes from the samples. I'll keep my eye out for a 1.4/50 to replace it. I need a 'normal' lens in PK for my Ricoh XR-X I've modified to use unperforated film, hence my interest in PK mount normals. It came with a Riconar 2.2/55 which is not bad.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revuenon 1.4/50, never used it before, it has sticky blades, but on the NEX no problem for these quick testshots. All straight JPG from the NEX3, no PP besides resize.

The lens:

And now some very UN-scientific testshots with some crops.

DOF at f/1.4:

at f/1.4:

Crop of the f/1.4 shot:

at f/2.8:

Crop of the f/2.8 shot:

at f/4:

Crop of the f/4 shot:

Another f/4 shot:

At f/8:

And finally a crop of an f/2.8 shot i took inside:

I should clean it and use it.... it's quite okay from what i've seen so far from these few shots!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples, I'd say it's better than okay, it's as good as many more expensive lenses imho.

With third party lenses, you really have to try the lens out before you know how it's going to perform, experience has taught me that duds are petty common.

You definitely don't have a dud. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Nice samples, I'd say it's better than okay, it's as good as many more expensive lenses imho.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's few from RICOH 1.4/50mm & NEX-C3 all wide-open, no sharpening:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, here is the Vivitar 50mm f1.4.

I can confirm the following:
- Serial starts with 9.
- 49mm filter thread.
- Convex rear element.
- 8 upward aperture blades.
- Mount has 4 screws.
- Focusing grease is dry.

No samples yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Nice Cosina clone there. Looking forward for samples!

The above photos from my Rikenon were badly processed. Please check Oversized in BW: http://forum.mflenses.com/ricoh-rikenon-1-4-50mm-pk-on-nex-c3-bw-wide-open-t61531.html