Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax dSLR: any other lenses than M42, Pentax 'M' and 'A'?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Pentax dSLR: any other lenses than M42, Pentax 'M' and 'A'? Reply with quote

Besides K mount lenses and M42 lenses with M42/K mount adapter, are there any other lenses that can be mounted on Pentax dSLR bodies?
that is without major DIY adaptation of camera body and/or lens mount, but e.g. with the use of an available adapter.

thank you for any input,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax dSLR: any other lenses than M42, Pentax 'M' and ' Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Besides K mount lenses and M42 lenses with M42/K mount adapter, are there any other lenses that can be mounted on Pentax dSLR bodies?
that is without major DIY adaptation of camera body and/or lens mount, but e.g. with the use of an available adapter.

The problem is the register distance.

If you want to keep infinity focus, the register distance of the lens must be equal or superior to 45,46 mm, which practically means Olympus, Leica and Contax (with surgery), Nikon (fits barely) or medium format lens. Not forgetting T-Mount and Tamron adaptall lenses with the right adapter (K or M42).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax dSLR: any other lenses than M42, Pentax 'M' and ' Reply with quote

Jieffe wrote:

If you want to keep infinity focus, the register distance of the lens must be equal or superior to 45,46 mm, which practically means Olympus, Leica and Contax (with surgery), Nikon (fits barely) or medium format lens. Not forgetting T-Mount and Tamron adaptall lenses with the right adapter (K or M42).

thank you Jieffe for your fast reply.
...so do I understand right Olympus, Leica and Contax (with surgery), Nikon (fits barely) or medium format lenses, T-Mount and Tamron adaptall lenses can be used?

if so, how?
are there different solutions / adapter for all the named above?
what are Tamron adaptal lenses?
how to fit e.g. Pentax medium format lenses on a Pentax dSLR, and do they have advantages over lenses designed for 35mm, or disadvantages?

only now I realize that I mistakenly thought it was an easy question I had asked, in contrary this seems to open up a wide field of knowledge.

thank you,
cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax dSLR: any other lenses than M42, Pentax 'M' and ' Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
...so do I understand right Olympus, Leica and Contax (with surgery), Nikon (fits barely) or medium format lenses, T-Mount and Tamron adaptall lenses can be used?
if so, how?

Olympus, Leica and Contax need to have the lens mount removed and replaced by a K-mount or a M42 mount. Not an easy task most of the time.

The Nikon bayonnet engage into the Pentax mount but is not locked.

The Tamron Adaptall lenses have an interchangeable mount. Pentax K, Pentax KA and M42 exist in the Adaptall serie. Basically, you buy a lens AND the right mount.

Medium format lenses needs an adapter between the lens and the body.

Quote:
do they have advantages over lenses designed for 35mm, or disadvantages?

Never tried medium format but I'm sure you will get other answers.

Basically, the Pentax K-mount is not ideal for lens adaptation, Olympus and Canon are better options.