Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax 50mm f/1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Pentax 50mm f/1.2 Reply with quote

The lens

All photos taken with Pentax K5iis
1# f5.6

2# f4

3# f2

4# f1.2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly excellent
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens!
I had this myself - but sold it due to financial reasons.
I tested it against the Pentax 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 /50mm and the Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 ZK.
Only the Zeiss could compete... the Zeiss was even a little bit better in sharpness and flare resistance.
Above 2.8/4.0 you could hardly see any difference in sharpness because all of these 50mm lenses are so close then - I fear that the differences are only a result of lack in manual focussing.
But the 'character' remains different!
... and here the 1.2/50 has someting 'different'!
You may love it or not....

I still have 3 different 50mm-lenses because of the differences in character...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Paul. I tested it against a Yashinon 50 f1.7, Industar 50 f3.5, Pentacon 50 f1.8. Wide open it has an advantage, it's a great lens, it's not the best 50 f1.2, but it can do everything you can ask from a 50mm. At f5.6 they all are very similar, I believe that the best 50mm you can have is the one you simply like the most.
I sold almost all my 50mm's, I needed to buy some things (new tripod, new computer). I kept this one because I know that in my country it's not going to be easy to find another one at the price I would pay for it, and because it's a great lens, but if you ask me what lens should I use for a portrait, for example, I would choose an Helios or something like that, because of their character.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fresh pictures taken with this lens

1#

2#

3#

4#

5#

6#

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great samples, a lens to look out for!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much post work did that first image above require? the landscape I mean.

It has a lovely "tone colour" to it?

I suppose I like the white balance chosen Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you TrueLoveOne

tromboads, this a neutral jpg of the raw file. I did sharpening, curves, added tones, white balance.

It was a great day, I believe any lens could do great photos on days like that, but this lens is very sharp stopped down, not just in center, the resolution is high all across the image, that's why I often use it as a "landscape lens" even when it's pretty long on an aps-c sensor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!