Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon /Orestegor 500 & 300mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Pentacon /Orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

Being a nature (bird) photographer, and having no money for expensive Nikkor AF-glass, I discovered the appeal of MF hardware.
These babies even have manual aperture, took a while to get used to, but it's great fun, and good I.Q.

This is the Pentacon 500mm F5,6 (in mint condition):

And here is the Meyer Orestegor 300mm F4 (heavily used, but still OK):

Just see these aperture blades (present in both lenses)!

Thanks to the Pentacon mount-adapters I can use these on a Nikon DSLR without a M42 adapter with correction lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look cool and heavy Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool !

I still want one of those 300mm Meyers. One day I'll get a cheap one.

The big guy is too expensive for me !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a 300mm Meyers and love it. Still looking for a 500mm Orestegor though. I love watching the blades of the iris open and close on these. Smooth and nearly a perfect circle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I joined to ask this question...
I have one of the 300mm f4 Pentacon (Meyer Orestegor 300mm F4) with the M42 mount and I'd like to use it on my Pentax K200D. Now, I know I can get it to work with an M42-K adapter, but I have to press the manual stop-down button. Since I want to use this on a gunstock mount with electronic trigger, I'd have to use in in Aperture priority mode. The means that I'd have to ensure that the body contacts are shorted out.
Therefore, I'm looking for the Pentacon-Six mount for the 300mm f4, so I can use a P6 -> K mount adapter so I can rig it to short the contacts and have an easier to use, more secure connection to the camera body.
Does anyone have one of these mounts they could part with to help a guy out?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon /Orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

pwsonline wrote:
These babies even have manual aperture.

This gave me a smile, thankyou! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of buying a Pentagon 300mm F/4 on ebay and I've a Nikon D7000 , was wondering what is the name of the corrective lens you have to correctly mount it onto the d7000 . Any help would be appreciated as I'm fairly new to M42 lenses and adapters etc . Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poocheire wrote:
Thinking of buying a Pentagon 300mm F/4 on ebay and I've a Nikon D7000 , was wondering what is the name of the corrective lens you have to correctly mount it onto the d7000 . Any help would be appreciated as I'm fairly new to M42 lenses and adapters etc . Thanks

The Nikon lens register normally requires an M42 adapter with a corrective lens - but they tend to decrease image quality. You do have another option though. The "cone" that bears the M42 mount can be removed, and the face machined down to compensate for this problem. That way, you can get an adapter with a locking flange and no lens (usually called a "macro" m42->Nikon adapter), then have the cone machined down so the lens register is correct.

I had to do the same think for my Pentax K200D - I used an adapter with flange (so it would lock onto the camera), but it pushed the lens out of infinity focus. I had the cone machined down the thickness of the flange to make up the difference, and it worked great.

If you do the same thing, just have them also buzz off the difference between the lens mounts.

ie:
Film to flange distances:
m42: 45.46 mm
Nikon F: 46.50 mm

Difference 1.04mm

So, if your converter is 1.5mm thick, have 2.54mm removed from the cone. A bit of filing may have to be done on some non-tolerance areas for it to fit just right, but it works.

Here are a few shots I've taken with that lens - mounted on a gunstock, so I can focus the darn thing!
Just keep in mind that high-contrast situations will show a bit of aberration (especially in out of focus areas, I'll add a pic of that too)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poocheire wrote:

There is NO (heavy) machining necessary at all! Please keep these fine lenses as they are, otherwise they lose their value, and / or cannot be used on another system anymore...

That being said; the whole rear mount part can simply be removed! The big fat black ring on the back can be unscrewed. You will see, that the whole M42-adapter comes off! So then, you can buy a fitting adapter for ANY system you would like. Adapters are even available for medium format systems! Adapters are available on Ebay. sarch for "adapter Pentacon 500" and or "Orestegor 300mm" ...
Bothe lenses use the same adapters. I know this because I have done it myself before.

Good luck, and have loads of fun with your wonderful Lens! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have ring mounts other than m42 or pentacon? News to me, could've saved me a lot of time, but I couldn't find any. Sad

The modifications I performed were to the "removeable mount part", so I can actually slap a another one on the back and it'll be back to original, or pentacon, etc.

I personally couldn't use a regular M42 Mounts for a number of reasons - one of which being the tiny metal spring that holds it in place? Way too weak to hold up my K200D with battery grip. I had it on a gunstock, so it had to tolerate panning action shots.

If the poster can find a pentacon "cone" for the back, then a pentacon-nikon adapter would fit the bill perfect - I didn't suggest it because I've never seen them for sale separately.

pwsonline wrote:
poocheire wrote:

There is NO (heavy) machining necessary at all! Please keep these fine lenses as they are, otherwise they lose their value, and / or cannot be used on another system anymore...

That being said; the whole rear mount part can simply be removed! The big fat black ring on the back can be unscrewed. You will see, that the whole M42-adapter comes off! So then, you can buy a fitting adapter for ANY system you would like. Adapters are even available for medium format systems! Adapters are available on Ebay. sarch for "adapter Pentacon 500" and or "Orestegor 300mm" ...
Bothe lenses use the same adapters. I know this because I have done it myself before.

Good luck, and have loads of fun with your wonderful Lens! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaj wrote:
They have ring mounts other than m42 or pentacon? News to me, could've saved me a lot of time, but I couldn't find any. Sad

I found mine, a couple of years ago, at www.baierfoto.de.
here is one too, right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Pentacon-Six-mount-lens-300mm-500-mm-/251104698275
And, then, indeed, one needs to add a P6-to (own brand) adapter. Fixed together they make a very sturdy combination.

Nice photo's!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwsonline wrote:
Kaj wrote:

I found mine, a couple of years ago, at www.baierfoto.de.
here is one too, right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Pentacon-Six-mount-lens-300mm-500-mm-/251104698275
And, then, indeed, one needs to add a P6-to (own brand) adapter. Fixed together they make a very sturdy combination.

Nice photo's!!!

Man, I wish I knew about those a few years ago!

Oh, and thanks for the compliment. I'm in a funny place right now: ~7000 photos taken over the last few years, and I haven't a clue what I'm going to do with them!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
I too have a 300mm Meyers and love it. Still looking for a 500mm Orestegor though.

the same !
but the prices of the 500mm increased dramatically the last years !
at a time it was possible to catch one for less than 100€, now.... often 300...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poocheire wrote:

as far as i know, the 300 and the 500 have changeable rear ends ( those are identical ) so you need a Pentacon six end and a Pentacon six to Nikon adapter, forget additional lenses
Something to add: if you go this way built your own black "aperture" into the mount - like the nikkor 80 - 200 f 4.5 or the 55mm 3.5 micro f.e. and you´ll avoid a lot of flare between sensor and rear element

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon /Orestegor 500 & 300mm Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
pwsonline wrote:
These babies even have manual aperture.

This gave me a smile, thankyou! Smile

+1