Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon/Meyer-Goerlitz 29mm f/2.8 / London South Bank
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Pentacon/Meyer-Goerlitz 29mm f/2.8 / London South Bank Reply with quote

So I took my Pentacon (more like a Meyer Goerlitz in disguise) down to the South Bank to catch some light.

Quite happy with the results.. (shot on a 5DSR)




















PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice images! I also like this lens, with its deeply saturated look. Maybe not the sharpest, but with a definite character.


PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Yeah it's a surprising little number and I really love the contrast it produces; it handled the sunlight and shadows so well. And it's sooooo compact to boot.. Very Happy


PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug out some more shots from today; and maybe it's because I've shot in 1x1, but it is pretty sharp. These are probably around the f/11-f/16 mark..


These are basically unprocessed other than exposure upped where needed and temperature made a little warmer..








PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muy Pentacon 29mm is M42 ,it came on Praktica MTL 5 ,IS it the same lens?


PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great technique on controlling of shadow and light. Like 1


PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Muy Pentacon 29mm is M42 ,it came on Praktica MTL 5 ,IS it the same lens?


I think it could be; from what I've read the branding generally switched from Meyer-Goerlitz to Pentacon but for some reason some got marked CJZ, like mine.

The build of it is the 80s one afaik, ike so;





monkjason wrote:
Great technique on controlling of shadow and light. Like 1


Thanks! That was my whole intention of getting down to where I was shooting with that light, lots of nice angles and shadows! What I am finding though, is using MF lenses and using the camera's meter and nothing else makes composing and exposure a LOT easier. The second lot of shots had nothing done to them apart from a little exposure pushing (half a stop roughly) as I tend to underexpose a bit, especially with shadows like that. But otherwise, they were good "straight out of the box" as such...


PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic 1 is my fav Like 1


PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens is exactly the same ,the only difference is the writing on the front ring wich saying Multi Coating Pentacon 29mm 2.8,the numbers and letters with colors all the same. In fact, the pentacon 50mm 1.8 is the same colour in numbers and letters scale . Coatings of both of them are beautifull ,like flektogon.


PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
My lens is exactly the same ,the only difference is the writing on the front ring wich saying Multi Coating Pentacon 29mm 2.8,the numbers and letters with colors all the same. In fact, the pentacon 50mm 1.8 is the same colour in numbers and letters scale . Coatings of both of them are beautifull ,like flektogon.


I've got one of them in the post! I got a camera and lens set off ebay with a zebra pancolar in it, and one of the other lenses is the MC version of the 29/2.8. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the earlier versions as I also got what looks like an early Pentacon version of the lens; the build looks similar to the Goerlitz model but its branded Pentacon.

The coatings on the later pentacon lenses really do look amazing; I've got a late Pancolar 50 with stiff lubrication that I was thinking of selling along with another faulty Pancolar Electric to fund a working one as such - then I checked the serial number of it and it's even later than some of the MC versions people are selling for silly money on eBay because they have MC in red..


PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Pancolar "sandish" medium stiff focus that was very sharp, but because the bad focus i have returned . But these 2 lenses, that it seems never got too much use, in pristine condition, have same smooth focus as c/y zeiss and i wouldn't have expected it.


PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, forgot to tell you that i really like the first 2 shots, the colours reminds me of 70-80's pictures, cannot say the same for zeiss c/y ,totally different. Could be the coatings used?


PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small


PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
By the way, forgot to tell you that i really like the first 2 shots, the colours reminds me of 70-80's pictures, cannot say the same for zeiss c/y ,totally different. Could be the coatings used?


Cheers - i'll have to check this when I get in later.

For PP I tend to use Alien Skin Exposure for film emulations and generally stick to a Provia 400F and another couple (one's an Agfa with a blue cast, and a Velvia when possible) - however, I do think the images were pretty warm "out the can" as such. I'll have a check of the RAW files later this evening to confirm... However, given the light at the time, it was generally warmer than usual..

In other news, that's me received a Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 MC version in the post.. It will need a CLA as there's a touch of fungus on the edge of one of the elements, but before I do, I'll try and do a test shot with all three versions of the 29mm I've got; namely early Pentacon version, CZJ version and then Pentacon MC version...


PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gott23 wrote:
however, I do think the images were pretty warm "out the can" as such. I'll have a check of the RAW files later this evening to confirm... However, given the light at the time, it was generally warmer than usual..

In other news, that's me received a Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 MC version in the post.. It will need a CLA as there's a touch of fungus on the edge of one of the elements, but before I do, I'll try and do a test shot with all three versions of the 29mm I've got; namely early Pentacon version, CZJ version and then Pentacon MC version...
I noticed the lens itself has a warm/saturated rendering. It is very obvious when you switch lenses during a shoot.

And you seem pretty much in love with this 29mm Like 1 small


PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
Gott23 wrote:
however, I do think the images were pretty warm "out the can" as such. I'll have a check of the RAW files later this evening to confirm... However, given the light at the time, it was generally warmer than usual..

In other news, that's me received a Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 MC version in the post.. It will need a CLA as there's a touch of fungus on the edge of one of the elements, but before I do, I'll try and do a test shot with all three versions of the 29mm I've got; namely early Pentacon version, CZJ version and then Pentacon MC version...
I noticed the lens itself has a warm/saturated rendering. It is very obvious when you switch lenses during a shoot.

And you seem pretty much in love with this 29mm Like 1 small


Until my radioactive Pancolar arrived in the post today that is.. Very Happy

Joking aside, for the price it's a great little lens. I'll have to do a wider (pardon the pun) comparison of it compared to the 30mm/3.5 Lydith and 35mm/2.8 Flektogon, though from what I've tried of them so far they seem to be much better suited to portraits given how close they can focus, and also they are a bit more difficult to get good focus with at the end of the focal range.


PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2,4 and the last are my favourites in this so interesting set.... Like 1
all the best,
sandro