Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon auto 29mm 2.8 MC m42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Pentacon auto 29mm 2.8 MC m42 Reply with quote

I found it for 23 euro, good lens and price?
It's auto, but possible to use in full manual with m42 adaptor?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Pentacon auto 29mm 2.8 MC m42 Reply with quote

danistuta wrote:
I found it for 23 euro, good lens and price?
It's auto, but possible to use in full manual with m42 adaptor?
Thanks.

I have the 2.8/28 version of that lens in PB mount but I changed it to EOS mount as the PB bount is only held on with four screws.

I like it very much, is acceptably sharp wide open and gets much sharper stopped down, bokeh is good, not swirly but not distracting, contrast is good as the coatings are good. Build quality is good, I like the ergonomics, one of my favourite lenses.

23 euros is fine for the M42 version if it is in good condition. For a dirty one that needed cleaning I'd try to pay more like 10-12 as it is a very commonly seen lens on the secondhand market.

Here are some sample pics from my Pentacon 2.8/28, all shot wide open on a gray cloudy morning to test contrast and sharpness:

I think that last shot shows it is pretty sharp wide open, I think it's a very good lens for the price it fetches.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, as far as I'm aware, the PB mount lens is a slightly different lens than the M42 version.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Ian, as far as I'm aware, the PB mount lens is a slightly different lens than the M42 version.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

I can recommend the PB mount version, sorry for any misleading info re the M42 one, didn't realise they were different.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m42 lens is not good? why?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danistuta wrote:
m42 lens is not good? why?

Most in consistent in quality from Pentacon lenses , most people report it is crap, a few people satisfied. My copy was from old stock I did like it.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/pentacon/pentacon_29mm_f2_8/?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something better on m42 mount, 20-30 euro?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Komine made Vivitar 28/2.8 is good if you can find one. You *might* be able to find a Tamron Adaptall 2 28/2.5 with mount for that too.

But...it's better to spend more on wide lenses...quality doesn't come cheap, ccertainly not like it does with 50mm lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron has a big vignetting wide open, no?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera are you using it on? Yes if you use it on a 5D.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I use 7d, crop camera. No vignetting problem?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar/Komine 2.8/28 as well, not tried it yet, cost me 11ukp in excellent condition, need to get a PK to EOS adapter for it.

The other good but cheap 28 is the Yahica ML.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it vignetted on my crop cameras. This is usually only a problem on full frame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good copy of the 29mm Pentacon (€ 3.50 on a shrift market)

and a bad one (€ 10 from Ebay), maybe I should try it again.
You need some luck, I think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rendering of that 2.8/29 looks very like my 2.8/28, maybe they are not that much different?

Nice dog btw, Alsatian?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, German Sheperd or Alsatian. Nice model and companian. But from time to time somewhat annoying when I want to make pictures (damaging flowers and fungi, chasing birds and cats away).

I think the Practicar 28mm is not quite the same lens, at least the frontlens is smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Yes, German Sheperd or Alsatian. Nice model and companian. But from time to time somewhat annoying when I want to make pictures (damaging flowers and fungi, chasing birds and cats away).

I think the Practicar 28mm is not quite the same lens, at least the frontlens is smaller.

Aww, all Alsatians are a bit like that, I used to look after my friend's Alsatian when he went on holiday and I spent many an afternoon running through fields trying to catch him!

I can take some pics of my 2.8/28 if you want to see the lens.

When I can afford it I want a 28mm Flektogon, be interesting to compare the Pentacon 28 to the Flek...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: i also like this pentacon 29mm 2.8 Reply with quote

i like my lens very much it has a character..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, proves it's a nice walking about lens.