Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon auto 2.8/135, Jupiter-21M vs Canon EF 2.8/200L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Pentacon auto 2.8/135, Jupiter-21M vs Canon EF 2.8/200L Reply with quote

Hi,

here 3 pictures shot all wide open with the lenses mentioned above and Canon 5DMkII

Pentacon auto 2.8/135 auto MC (20 Euro)

Jupier-21M 4/200 (10 Euro)

Canon EF 2.8/200 L (approx. 650 Euro) Smile

This time no comments from myself Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the 2nd-cheapest L lens, at that Very Happy

it would be more instructive if you had not identified the lenses, so we could guess Very Happy Very Happy i notice a lot of folks immediately downgrade AF lenses but i am not sure how much is perception and how much is real...

although i'd like to know where i can get a pentacon 135mm for 20 euro!!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter-21 shines again!
But it produces intense colours and a strong contrast. The EF-lens manages to resolve the different tones and shades of pink better - if the light was similar, that is!

It depends what you want to have, the richer tonality or the stronger contrast.

A strong a contrast is great for ready-shots, a richer tonality offers more for PP...
As a basis for post-production, my fav would be the EF 2.8/200 shot, I'm afraid.

But the price difference is striking!!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orly_andico wrote:
that is the 2nd-cheapest L lens, at that Very Happy

although i'd like to know where i can get a pentacon 135mm for 20 euro!!

at a local flea market (and a filter was also included - worth 5 Euro ?) Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think time to sell your Canon L ...

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf, did you shoot these at same time and with "same sunshine"? I see it's couldy when you shot Canon L and too much light on Pentacon.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
Rolf, did you shoot these at same time and with "same sunshine"? I see it's couldy when you shot Canon L and too much light on Pentacon.

That's what I was pointing at:
LucisPictor wrote:
- if the light was similar, that is.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:

You are right, it was more cloudy when I shot with the Canon lens. So there must be differences within the colors and the contrast as well.

Rolf

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, the lighting gives an edge to the L, flowers tend to show up better on digital when they are not in direct sunlight. This accounts for a lot of the perceived difference in saturation and contrast in the samples.
The immediate reaction to the samples above has to be: if I am on a budget, it makes no sense to pay the 600 euros for a minor difference in result, that can easily be compensated in pp anyway.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, toss the results and redo under close to identical conditions, otherwise all that ends up being simple guess work, so throwing a dice would have been much easier...my 2cts.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: new shots Reply with quote

I have not a test lab here so the shots hadn´t a claim of anything. The only intention was to show how good a low price lens can perform against acutal high tech lenses.

Below you will find 2 other shots from this morning out of my office window and they are much closer than the old one.

Out of the cam, no additional sharpen, no PP, only converted to jpg and downsized. All wide open.

Canon

Jupiter

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, the Jupiter still does it for me - I've had a raft of 'L' lenses and have sold all but two of them in favour of their older, wiser and more capable manual brethern.

There's nothing scientific to my logic - I just prefer the way the Jupe shots look Smile