Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 200mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 200mm f/4 Reply with quote

I am not sure if more than one version of the Pentacon 200mm f/4 exists, but I would like to ask about its performance and if it suffers considerably from chromatic and other aberrations. I do not have another lens of the same focal length but I do have a Jupiter-37A and a Tair-3S if someone can make a comparison to these.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pentacon 200 / 4 is my favourite 200, I can forgive it's size and weight when I see the pictures from it. And the f4 isn't bad either, I have faster and slower 200's, the beauty of the Pentacon is it's very good at f4.

This picture is possibly shot wide open, the DoF is fairly small and there are backlit branches in front and behind the Robin, and the CA is minimal, really very good I think.

100%

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The Pentacon 200 / 4 is my favourite 200, I can forgive it's size and weight when I see the pictures from it. And the f4 isn't bad either, I have faster and slower 200's, the beauty of the Pentacon is it's very good at f4.

This picture is possibly shot wide open, the DoF is fairly small and there are backlit branches in front and behind the Robin, and the CA is minimal, really very good I think.

100%

Does this lens have a collar to mount on a tripod?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this lens have a collar to mount on a tripod?[/quote]

No, no tripod collar on this lens.
Most 200mm lenses don't have a tripod collar. The Takumar 3.5/200 has one but I can't think of any others - although there are probably more that I cannot recall.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Really? I will have to take mine out after reading this. I am glad to have a lens that is someones favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a tripod mount off an old SUN zoom lens, which was too big so I've used a strip of polythene cut from a 5l container which seems to be soft enough to grip onto the taper of the lens, it's never come loose once - and I use it a lot. The lens with the mount is my 'PentaMog' - half Pentacon and half Meyer Optik Gorlitz, as can be seen in the different styles of rings. The Pentacon is a really nice copy, but no better than the Pentamog. I think I have another Pentacon somewhere that's for sale.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One potential advantage of the Meyer/Pentacon 200mm is the detachable mount. I took the mount on mine to the local engineering shop and had them take off a couple of mm off the shoulder of the mount on the precision lathe. Now I can use a good quality flanged M42 to PK adapter. The mount has a very narrow base and used unaltered with the standard non flanged original M42- PK adapter was less stable and could allow light leaks (see here).
Good lens no doubt, I also like my tak 200mm f3.5. Both sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...really very good I think."

I can't agree more

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice ... the Pentacon 4/200 is my favourite 200mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
One potential advantage of the Meyer/Pentacon 200mm is the detachable mount. I took the mount on mine to the local engineering shop and had them take off a couple of mm off the shoulder of the mount on the precision lathe. Now I can use a good quality flanged M42 to PK adapter. The mount has a very narrow base and used unaltered with the standard non flanged original M42- PK adapter was less stable and could allow light leaks (see here).
Good lens no doubt, I also like my tak 200mm f3.5. Both sharp.

What detachable mount?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:

What detachable mount?

This detachable mount:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Pentacon 135 lens, but the detachable mount is exactly the same and fits both 135 and 200's. The conical mount, usually Exacta or M42, fits the back of the lens and is secured by the threaded ring.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the use of the detachable mount on the lens? I can see no manual/auto switch or a pin to press and open the aperture. Is this a preset lens? Is there a way to lock aperture?

Last edited by kyrcy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:56 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a preset lens, one sprung part of the aperture ring can be set to restrict the aperture to a maximun required, or it can be set at f22 and both parts of the aperture ring turn together, held together by the spring loading, and allows the aperture to be adjusted seamlessly through the entire range.

The detachable mount is an easy way of manufacturing the lens for different camera mounts. ::

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:

Interesting as I have the Pentacon 4/200 and the Meyer Orestegor 4/200 Zebra with about 15 blades......I'll have to find out what the difference is, in results...and guessing it would be better background Bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took photos of the moon at the infinity mark of the lens and they seemed in focus, but photos of distance buildings at the same mark were slightly out of focus (and in focus between the 50m and infinity marks). Is this expected with this lens? I suppose the moon is closer to infinity than anything on earth, but does anyone know from experience if the infinity mark on the distance scale is accurate?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:
I took photos of the moon at the infinity mark of the lens and they seemed in focus, but photos of distance buildings at the same mark were slightly out of focus (and in focus between the 50m and infinity marks). Is this expected with this lens? I suppose the moon is closer to infinity than anything on earth, but does anyone know from experience if the infinity mark on the distance scale is accurate?

Depends on the lens as I found quite a few of mine the focus is before the infinity stop..whether it was like it new I will never know...it's annoying as it would be nice if the infinity stop is the same as the sharp image and some guys here have adjusted their lenses or sent them to a repair shop.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Depends on the lens as I found quite a few of mine the focus is before the infinity stop..whether it was like it new I will never know...it's annoying as it would be nice if the infinity stop is the same as the sharp image and some guys here have adjusted their lenses or sent them to a repair shop.

More opinions about this problem from people that have the lens would be useful. The difference in focus is very slight but still noticeable. Has anyone managed to adjust focus or have it adjusted in a repair shop?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
eeyore_nl wrote:

Interesting as I have the Pentacon 4/200 and the Meyer Orestegor 4/200 Zebra with about 15 blades......I'll have to find out what the difference is, in results...and guessing it would be better background Bokeh.

There is no difference, the lens pictured in my post earlier - the Pentamog with the tripod mount is made from parts of Pentacon and M.O.G. lenses, one was a zebra the other a newer version.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
eeyore_nl wrote:

There is no difference, the lens pictured in my post earlier - the Pentamog with the tripod mount is made from parts of Pentacon and M.O.G. lenses, one was a zebra the other a newer version.

Also have the Fujinon T M42 4.5/200 which would be interesting in comparing to the Pentacon when I get round to it, but my results would be on film so not much use on this mainly digi forum Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone with the Pentacon 200/4 confirm if infinity focus matches the infinity stop on the lens or if the infinity stop passes infinity focus?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:
Can anyone with the Pentacon 200/4 confirm if infinity focus matches the infinity stop on the lens or if the infinity stop passes infinity focus?

Well just screwed my Pentacon onto a Chinon SLR and a tiny fraction before and at the infinity stop..and the image is sharpest....well I can't go past infinity stop to see if it's more sharper and the only way to find out would be large crops to see what I am getting at infinity ATM is OK.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mount can be exchanged for a P6 back I suppose.

I never had a Pentacon tele so cannot help with the infinity problem.

Just a general observation, a 500/8 lens has quite thin DOF WO and is extremly difficult to focus really tack-y on the spot. A 200/4 should be somewhat relaxed but similar. There is quite some difference between focus at 2 km and focus at 5 km.
Didn't I hear about people modifying their lenses to remove the hard stop, so they could get the moon and star really in focus WO? Perhaps then your 200/4 is really infinity at infinity but your target building is not.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyrcy wrote:

Pretty much all lens adapters are manufactured a little short of nominal, so you will be able to go past infinity on many lens/adapter combos. Some people shim them so the infinity stop is dead on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took more photos and even the moon is not in focus at the infinity stop (but slightly before). So infinity stop does not seem to match with objects that there are close to infinity such as the moon. I do not want to shim the lens or adapter (the adapter should not be a problem anyway as it works fine with other lenses). But if focus can be adjusted in the lens I could take it for repair.