Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pen-F lens converted to Leica M
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Pen-F lens converted to Leica M Reply with quote

There are no adapters to mount Pen-F lenses on Leica M. I really would love to use my Pen-F lenses with my Ricoh GXR M though and decided to change the mount
The mount of a Pen-F lens has a rim that cover last half cm of the sides of the lens

therefore I had a piece of brass cut that covers the rear of the lens like the original mount

and screwed a M39>M adapter on top. It needed drilling 3 wholes for the screws, ( which was done very badly by the workshop that had cut the cover and later very well by my 'lens doctor', thus 3 'wrong' wholes ) three slightly longer screws, and well, a rubber band to make the aperture work Wink

voila:

Pen-F Zuiko 1.8/38 mounted on the GXR M

I am very happy, as side effect, if with Leica M > E mount helicoid adapter on my NEX, it can focus very close.
There is no harm done to the lens, restoring original condition is very easy.

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it does not look so nice to see that done to such a fine Pen-F lens,
I applaude for your clever way of conversion !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Klaus. First I had looked into manufacturing an adapter, than into screwing a Leica M mount on top of the lens's bayonet, but both proved to be as much as impossible. The remaining option I chose wasn't 'doing anything to the lens' that I feel sorry about. Reversing is only a matter of opening 3 screws, exchanging mounts and tightening it's 3 screws again Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I like very much your approach. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Andy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Jesito and Carsten.

The three wholes in the adapter have been drilled precisely in the very exact position, the machined cover/spacer has the same thickness all around.
This makes the conversion very precise, also very sturdy, first test shots confirm that it's perfect

lens at infinity focus

a 100% crop from that:

I am planning to do the same or similar with my other Pen-F lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful results! i admire people like you who can 'see' engineering solutions that have always eluded me.

btw, i have decided to sell my pen-f 60/1.5, which i understand doesnt appear very often, if you or anyone else is interested, feel free to PM.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done indeed, did you have to crop the pictures just wondering as the camera is made for half frame pictures if you got any vignetting in the corners?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank's Tony. My conversion is very simple. I think simple often is best, finding the simple sometimes is a challenge.
I have a 1.5/60, great lens, plan to make it into Leica M too, thank's for the offer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Layer-cake wrote:
well done indeed, did you have to crop the pictures just wondering as the camera is made for half frame pictures if you got any vignetting in the corners?

thank's
the M module of the Ricoh GXR has an APS-C sensor. FF measures 36x24mm, that makes 18x24mm for halfframe, the APS-C sensor of the GXR M measures 23.6x15.7mm. This is very close to, a bit smaller than halfframe, there is no vignetting and I had not cropped any of the sample pics.
Pen-F lenses have been used extensively on Sony NEX cams using the same sensor size with a simple Pen-F>E mount adapter, many samples incl. from me can be seen in this forum. Our member Nordentro showed us that most Pen-F lenses even cover FF rather well: http://forum.mflenses.com/pen-f-lenses-to-cover-aps-c-sensor-or-even-ff-t62143,start,15.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very happy that the Pen-F lens gets a new life on the Ricoh which I simply enjoy using even more than my NEX, from the first results I'd say that this combination works very well

wide open at night

stopped down

100% near center crop

100% corner crop

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subtle blue - green tones of the first picture are wonderful, as is the picture. I like that a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The subtle blue - green tones of the first picture are wonderful, as is the picture. I like that a lot.

thank you very much for commenting Lloydy, and I am particularly happy that you mention the color tones. I am very happy with the tones the Ricoh gives me. When I had changed from my first dSLR, Pentax *istDs, that had a CCD sensor to my second, K-x, that had a CMOS sensor, I was quite taken aback because I did not like the color tones of the new camera as much, specially I thought that it did not show the individual tones that come from lenses as well as the older camera did. GXR M's rendering reminds me to that of the *istDs, interestingly the *istDs has the same 6MP Sony sensor that also was used in the Epson RD-1 and users had commented that the GXR M tones remind them to those of the Epson, mention also get early Kodak dSLRs.

the 'green one' better be viewed in full size, well, here a 30% crop of the more colorful part

the above might be the most impressive in this respect, but I also liked the tones of the other two night shots I took that evening ( it's abt. the tones, technically I didn't do well, first one with ISO 2167 but exp. had to be upped in pp, second scene was brighter than I had anticipated, I could have stopped down the lens )

cheers, andreas

Last edited by kuuan on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
excellent.

thank's Tony, using this lens on the Ricoh feels like having a completely new lens all over again Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found a commercial solution yet? The Ricoh is cheap now and I'd like to buy one and use Olympus Pen lenses on it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pontus wrote:
Has anyone found a commercial solution yet? The Ricoh is cheap now and I'd like to buy one and use Olympus Pen lenses on it.

I don't think that there is any.
Later I had converted all my other Pen-F lenses to Leica M. Mostly each one needs a bit of a different solution.
Once I had been told ( by Stephen, the boss of rangefinderforums and cameraquest ) that this would make a good business idea and that I should look into making a 'commercial version' and once I had sold a diy kit to someone interested. I suppose that he is the only one, besides me, who owns a Pen-F lens converted to Leica M.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Pontus wrote:

I don't think that there is any.
Later I had converted all my other Pen-F lenses to Leica M. Mostly each one needs a bit of a different solution.
Once I had been told ( by Stephen, the boss of rangefinderforums and cameraquest ) that this would make a good business idea and that I should look into making a 'commercial version' and once I had sold a diy kit to someone interested. I suppose that he is the only one, besides me, who owns a Pen-F lens converted to Leica M.

Hmm, interesting model. If cameraquest sells them, only with a huge mark up from how I know him Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kuuan

Just wondeng if you are still thinking about selling the adapter kits? I would certainly love tohave one. I will be travelling soon and would like to take my GXR with me as it is compact. And i think the Pen F lens would be a great companion.

Also I can't seem to see your sample pics. Do you also have them posted elsewhere (maybe instagram, flickr)?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derror wrote:
Hi Kuuan

Just wondeng if you are still thinking about selling the adapter kits? I would certainly love tohave one. I will be travelling soon and would like to take my GXR with me as it is compact. And i think the Pen F lens would be a great companion.

Also I can't seem to see your sample pics. Do you also have them posted elsewhere (maybe instagram, flickr)?

Hi,

I have not tried to produce and sell commercially but have one private sale to someone who had asked me for it, and I am willing to sale diy sets to the interested. If interested please contact me via PM.

Which lens exactly would you like to convert? I ask because each lens needs a bit of a different solution and I would give you exact instructions by photos. Resp. I could sale already converted lenses, I have copies for sale of the 1.8/38, 1.4/40 and 3.5/100

the photo here have been lost, I may try to substitue some in the coming days. In the meantime please refer to the images published at my flickr site. Photos could have been taken by the GXR M, but also with Sony NEX5n and A7, I am afraid you must open the photo first and see which camera was used.

my flickr sets in order by lens used from wide to long, including Pen-F 3.5/20, 2.8/25, 4/25, 1.8/38, 1.4/40, 1.5/60 and 3.5/100, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/collections/72157604973031858/

cheers, andreas