Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Peerotar (Fujita?) 3.5/135 - rare !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Peerotar (Fujita?) 3.5/135 - rare ! Reply with quote

I am always on the lookout for my favorite lenses, the early Japanese rare manufacturers. Fujita was a ubiquitous yet mysterious maker in the 1950's, responsible for some technical achievements and capable of very high quality manufacture. And then it just disappeared.

I found this as a Peerotar - a brand used by Peers Cameras, a defunct camera store chain. I have some other Fujitas in that brand.

It is mechanically in excellent shape, but unfortunately the middle two cemented elements have some separation which I feared would affect results. I can't fix separation problems, though I am tempted to try the oven technique. Maybe I will one day. As it happens, I think this lens has not actually suffered much if any bad effects from separation. I got it in Exakta mount, I used my Exakta-PK adapter with no problems, and I adjusted the helical for infinity.

The design is distinctive for Fujitas, with the push-button aperture release copied from some Meyers I think. Almost all the 1950's Fujitas seem to have had the same feature, working the same way.

Otherwise its a very conventional item, but extremely well made. This has brass parts throughout, except for the inner helical, which is good design, different metals won't bind. Optically its a four-element three group job, typical 135.

Performance is very good indeed. Its not quite a Takumar at f/3.5, but it has loads of character - or maybe thats the separation problem ?

The bird -

Crop -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you've done it again! Fantastic shots, and the lens does very well indeed. I'm ashamed to admit that I have a beautiful 135/3.5 Fujita that I've never taken out yet. This simply has to change after seeing these shots, many thanks for sharing Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!!

A great photo series, I love warm images like these :) And looks to be a keeper lens, too! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Luis.

Well done again !!

Thanks.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Luis! Was that warm evening light? I guess you have your WB set at a fixed Kelvin value to represent the emotional light situation...?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb photos - really nice presentation of the lens.

Would you by any chance make another Exakta-PK adapter for not like fortune? I am really interested. I have this sweet Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85mm VL in Exakta bayonet mount that i'd really like to use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was evening light indeed, throughout a week. I have been unable to go out at mid-day as usual.

Hi Pancolart,

This is the simplest and best idea I have yet seen for Exakta adapters -

http://forum.mflenses.com/quick-exakta-lens-to-nikon-f-adapter-t18705,highlight,exakta+rubber.html

It has worked for me for some lenses.

I suggest you try this first.

I could indeed make you a custom adapter if this won't do, let me know if you are interested.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These suggestions i must try. Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Steinheil München Culminar 2.8/85 VL Reply with quote

DONE! What i did was use residue mount directly from PK lens.
Exakta mount could be unscrewed but under was strangely wide screw
that didn't fit any of my adapters (except Leica T2 from the opposite side).
Now i can go just a bit over infinity so i guess i lose some in front. There
are also some light leaks near mount, so some minor improvements
could still be expected after sealed.

Here a test shot (open-wide) from 15min. Colors replaced since being ugly tungsten.
Newspaper can be seen on bottom. So here: Steinheil München Culminar 2.8/85 VL on Pentax DSLR.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sweat the light leaks much.

It look like you have managed very well indeed. Its fine to lose a bit in close focus, its probably just an inch or two. There are always extension rings (I always carry one or two).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your comment Luis. Here a more natural one, today taken outside, shot against the sun.