Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pancolar 75mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Pancolar 75mm 1.4 Reply with quote

I didn't know about this. Not strange if it's true that only 20 were made. And check that price tag!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-1-4-75mm-Pancolar-M42-one-of-the-rarest-Zeiss-Lens-only-20x-made/264195414164?hash=item3d83461894:g:SzoAAOSwt6hcZHvr:rk:24:pf:0

Anyone here that have seen one in person?


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one. It's really hard to determine a proper price tag for this kind of items, because they are so rare.


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Never seen one. It's really hard to determine a proper price tag for this kind of items, because they are so rare.

That explains the insane price tag, to see if anyone is willing to buy at that price, it's called fishing, if there are no bites, they will have to lower the price or try again some other day.
Another seller fishing for a buyer here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-35MM-SUMMILUX-M-F1-4-AA-SILVER-CHROME-ASPHERICAL-PROTOTYPE-11873-LENS-1-1/283357562194


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Pancolar 75mm 1.4 Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Anyone here that have seen one in person?

It's a rare lens. A few of them are kept at museumlike collections. Thus it's kinda hard to see actual pictures taken with it.

A pair is accessible here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/137731928@N08/albums/72157687231084106


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Never seen one. It's really hard to determine a proper price tag for this kind of items, because they are so rare.

That explains the insane price tag, to see if anyone is willing to buy at that price, it's called fishing, if there are no bites, they will have to lower the price or try again some other day.
Another seller fishing for a buyer here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEICA-35MM-SUMMILUX-M-F1-4-AA-SILVER-CHROME-ASPHERICAL-PROTOTYPE-11873-LENS-1-1/283357562194


Haha, rediculous. But always worth trying Wink


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whaaaat the hell 750 000 $ for a lens. the price of a superbe big house
The seller is just crazy
ebay& paypal will take a huge commission if he sell it Smile


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
whaaaat the hell 750 000 $ for a lens. the price of a superbe big house
The seller is just crazy
ebay& paypal will take a huge commission if he sell it Smile


Only $17,001.75 now!


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to see this today too. I suggest we take up a collection and buy it as a group, then take turns using it. I'll take the first turn. Wink


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Only $17,001.75 now!


What is the $1.75 for? Smile


PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Only $17,001.75 now!


What is the $1.75 for? Smile


Puts it out of reach for those who can afford only $17000, I guess...


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important but unanswered question: Why did Zeiss build only 20 copies?
No doubt something went wrong there.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the bokeh in the few samples shown I find it nicer than the Biotar 75mm 1.5 or any other Biotar + clones. Maybe the Biotar sold good enough for Zeiss at the time.

Based on the links in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/czj-pancolar-14-75mm-versus-biotar-15-75mm-t51946.html a final price of 6000 is now not unlikely.

7 elements in 7 groups according this site: https://lens-db.com/carl-zeiss-jena-pancolar-75mm-f14-1967/
Must be expensive in production, one wonders why that complexity in 1967, coatings still not at the best levels.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst


Last edited by Ernst Dinkla on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt reason for small batch were high manufacture costs. If so, no zooms would be ever produced. I guess despite being an Eastern Bloc country the concept of exclusivity and elite was also very well present.


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I doubt reason for small batch were high manufacture costs. If so, no zooms would be ever produced. I guess despite being an Eastern Bloc country the concept of exclusivity and elite was also very well present.
This lens belongs to the highend Pentacon Super system. The camera itself arrived too late to make an impact on already saturated international SLR market (10 years after Nikon F, 6 years after Topcon RE, 5 after Spotmatic). For the GDR market it was extremely costly. It seems it was quickly decided not to invest in evolving the system further - this is somehow similar to Contarex's fate...


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
I doubt reason for small batch were high manufacture costs. If so, no zooms would be ever produced. I guess despite being an Eastern Bloc country the concept of exclusivity and elite was also very well present.


That small batch, 20 pieces, is not a normal production run. Possibly only made to test the lens in practice, to check what real production cost could become or for marketing purposes. If the last existed in the GDR.

The reason why there never were real production runs has an answer already in the other reply.

met vriendelijke groet, Ernst


PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Never seen one. It's really hard to determine a proper price tag for this kind of items, because they are so rare.


That's right , imagine that lens 50 years from now on.......


PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
The most important but unanswered question: Why did Zeiss build only 20 copies?
No doubt something went wrong there.


It was probably a special order from someone somewhere with a fat wallet for whatever reason. Remember that crazy f/0.7 they built for NASA that Stanley Kubrick picked up for his film "Barry Lyndon"? They built only 10 of those.