Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G1 or digilux 2/ DM-LC1?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Panasonic G1 or digilux 2/ DM-LC1? Reply with quote

Hi all

Im getting ticked at my Rebel XT for a few reasons:

small LCD, terrible viewfinder, bad high ISO capabilities : But its 7 years old so Ill cut it some slack

The main reason for my anger is that I have 2 excellent Contax Planars and thats the only reason I still have the 350D as my preferred Pentax KX desnt work with the C\Y mount lenses Sad

s I have been looking at Leica Digilux2/Panasonic DMC-LC1s and they dolook cool, but no interchangable lenses and once again 6 year old tech, BUT the newer Panasonic G1 looks intriguing, 4/3 system with the ability to use almost any lens, and an EVF too , plus the red one looks cool! hmmmmmmmm

Can someone talkme into r out of either of these choices? Or should I just sell the XT , the nifty fifty , kit lens and planars and save up fr a Leica Smile

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, if you decided to go for the G1, I'm thinking about selling mine but it's not a red one but black Rolling Eyes ! It's a good little cam but definitively too small for me Embarassed and I don't use it anymore so let me know if you have interest Wink ....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my G1 take from Pascal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attila

is there anything wrong with getting a Digilux 2? or would a G1 with a leica lens be a better bet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebel XT is gone

what are the GF1s like? Panasonic has a deal right now, 425 for one with a lens!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic G1 or digilux 2/ DM-LC1? Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:

The main reason for my anger is that I have 2 excellent Contax Planars and thats the only reason I still have the 350D as my preferred Pentax KX desnt work with the C\Y mount lenses Sad

Smile

Wrong statement! Wink
You can convert the Contax Planars to Pentax-K mount and use them on the K-x. I've done so already:

http://forum.mflenses.com/replacing-the-c-y-mount-of-a-cz-planar-1-7-50mm-by-pentax-k-t16962,highlight,%2Bplanar.html

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jes

I couldnt find a listing for PK mount adapters on the leitax site for the planar 85/1.4 though , do they only have a M42 adapter for that one?

It would be nice to have the planar on my KX though, that lens is really great

cheers

D163

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude163 wrote:
Thanks Jes

I couldnt find a listing for PK mount adapters on the leitax site for the planar 85/1.4 though , do they only have a M42 adapter for that one?

It would be nice to have the planar on my KX though, that lens is really great

cheers

D163

You can contact David Llado at Leitax to ask, he's a friendly person whising to help: info@leitax.com

Good luck!

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althought the Digilux 2 is probably one of the best digital compact cams ever made (and I love it!), you cannot really compare the D2 with a G1 (or similar).
Here you have a fantastic but non-replacable lens, there you you have an exhangable system.
Here you have a small sensor (2/3") with rather high noise, there you have a larger sensor (µ4/3) with (not very but) rather low noise levels.

It's just not the same type of camera.

You need to make sure what you really want and prefer and then decide. You can be happy with either cam.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, a couple of thoughts: i beleive that for the price of a digilux 2, which i think are now around $1000 usd, you can get a ff canon 5d, which imho i feel very strongly is the best place for the planars you have. having just used this past weekend the 5d and 85/1.4 planar in virtually dark club setting at iso 1600 to i think fabulous results, this may be worth considering. and there is no contest between low light performance of these 2cams. plus you already have all the canon adapters you need! and imho, the auto confirm works great on 5d. once you shoot ff you will never look back!

pros of digilux is nice lens and good i think for street work. evf is horrible, grainy and shaky. low light is nonexistent. they are prone to having motherboard problems that wipe out the electrical system.

g1 everyone likes on the forum, but at 2x it ruins your planars--can you really use a 170mm as often and to same effect as an 85mm? also, no in camera IS, which to me makes 2x even more difficult, thats why my evil cam is the ep2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my G1 but I would say it's noticeably noiser than my 350D/Rebel XT