Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Opinions on Yashica ML 50mm lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Opinions on Yashica ML 50mm lenses Reply with quote

Hello,

Anyone shooting these 50's ?

I see there is an f2, f1.9, f1.7, f1.4. They are all relatively cheap, but I would prefer to skip all the testing and buy the right one for my needs.
Looks to me like the f2 and f1.9 render a swirly bokeh with less "pop", while the f1.7 and f1.4 are closer to Zeiss Planar rendering.

Any opinions ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the shots I've seen from the ML 50/2, so I bought one, it had fungus, so I tried to clean it, all the elements were glued in... Paperweight.

I came across an ML 50/1.4, optics seem good, but it flared badly so it's not seen much use,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the f1.4 and had the f1.9 (got it for $15 but passed it along to friend). Both were very good but not quite as sharp (if that's your primary need) as their C/Y Contax Zeiss equivalents (f1.4 & f1.7).
The MLs seem to be cooler than the Zeiss, slightly bluer tone.
The bokeh for each is less smooth than the Zeiss, and the f1.9 is somewhat "swirly" fully open under certain conditions (back light scene with light coming through foliage).

Would I go for the f1.4 over the much cheaper f1.9? Well, depends on what you want to use it for? By f5.6 both are as good as each other. So if the usage will be "general purpose", save your money and be very happy with the f1.9. I kept my f1.4 to have the extra speed for night shots. Night street shots specifically.

What was your purpose for the lens?
Whichever you chose, enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I'm considering buying the cheap ML 50 f2 as a small walk around lens, and save some money for the Planar 1.7 for more serious work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Planar f1.7 is my go-to lens for travelling. You'll really like it, but why not just get it alone?
Or, save the money you intend to spend on both lens and buy the Planar f1.4 (MMJ version) instead?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any first-hand experience with any of them, but I once read that the 1.7 is the one to get. It is supposed to be the one with the best balance of build/performance/price.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 1.7 in a kit ( along with the 28 / 2.8 and 80-200 / 4 with and FX-D camera ) and it's a lens I use a lot. I don't know if it is better than the Minolta 50 / 1. 4 or 1.7 ? but it is certainly up there with the Minolta's.
For the low prices Yashica lenses go for I'd say they are probably the best bargains out there at the moment, all three of those ML lenses are very very good.
There does appear to be a lot of difference between ML and DSB lenses, I have the 28 / 2.8 in both lines and there is a clear difference. The DSB might not be 'bad' but they don't come close to the ML's.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 2x50/1.4 ML (one silver nose),ML 50/1.7 and 50/2.All are good/very good fifties with "classic" performance (sharp,nice Yashica colours,some veiling wo due to non corrected spherical aberration (esp 50/1.4).All in all - keepers.My personal preference goes to 50/1.7 and 50/1.4.50/2 needs to be stopped down 2 stops to show it's best.

First A7+ML 50/1.7,second ML 50/1.4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any 70's and later multi-coated lens, refer to the focal length of 50 mm is perfectly valid. Personally I like the ML or DS-M 50/1.7. In my experience, the Planar gives contrast too many times, more desired.

In my case choose one or the other is manic subjectivity Smile
Happy shots!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YASHICA ML 1.4/50mm on NEX-C3, resize only

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shot Pancolart, but what does the lens have that another 50mm doesn't...well excluding lenses like Helios with swirly bokeh etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight out of the camera - Yashica ML 50 / 1.7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Nice shot Pancolart, but what does the lens have that another 50mm doesn't...

Hmm, nothing. It has its own character. Little details that have more with emotion then logic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later ML version of the Yashica 50mm 1.7 is a very sharp lens and nice build quality...
I shot these on a Canon 50d with Yashica/Contax to EOS adapter.

Last edited by carliniphoto on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 50/2. It's a sharp lens, body isn't super substantial but glass is first rate. The bokeh is that kind that makes it look like you're on a merry go round, similar to some of the Russian lenses.

Here's an example on the Sony A7:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ML 50mm f/1.7 and ML 50mm f/1.4 had way nicer build quality, then
on some of their other 50mm versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind there are a couple of 55 macro MLs as well. The 4 and the 2.8. I have the 4, it's a tessar design, so better in the center. I think it's a fine lens, but based on user !Karen's thread on the 2.8, I think the planar design may be better suited as an all round lens.

Macros seem to hold up very well to digital sensors if you're doing digital, so you may want to consider these as well.

Sample from 55/4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carliniphoto wrote:
The ML 50mm f/1.7 and ML 50mm f/1.4 had way nicer build quality, then
on some of their other 50mm versions.

I agree there is a lot of variation in the build quality of ML lenses. I have a 35-70 and the body is 100% plastic, it feels cheaper than any other 35-70 I own.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought the 50mm ML f2 to test it !

It came with a mint Contax 139Q, lovely little camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleearth wrote:
I just bought the 50mm ML f2 to test it !

It came with a mint Contax 139Q, lovely little camera.

That's a nice little combo!

I've just landed an ML 50/1.7 myself and after this thread I'm really looking forward to trying it on my A7r.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bit OT. Does anybody know why only the ML 1.7 is radioactive and the rest of the ML line is not? Even the fastest one - ML 1.4 - is apparently not 'hot'.

It seems strange to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the ML 50mm 1.7 is not radioactive...
Ive owned several copies of this lens.. Where did you
see that it was radioactive?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard about radioactive 50mm ML lenses !

Here is mine with the camera.

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carliniphoto wrote:
As far as I know the ML 50mm 1.7 is not radioactive...
Ive owned several copies of this lens.. Where did you
see that it was radioactive?
Exactly, it's weird that the relatively modern ML line would be thoriated. Anyway here is the proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPMCMyNxbGY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y that 50mm in the video is a much earlier version, I believe from the early 70s.
The front plate text is different and the lens body is different from the later version.

The later modern ML 50mm 1.7 that is compared with the Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.7
looks like this and I don't think its radioactive.