Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Zuiko Macro 20mm F3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Olympus Zuiko Macro 20mm F3.5 Reply with quote

I bought this lens brand new many years ago. I remember I paid about $ 50. Today, thanks to the collectors of the OM system, this same lens is being sold used for 10x more!

The Zuiko 20mm F3.5 is a small but dense lens because it's all built in brass, as most lenses for microscopy and scientific applications. The thread is the standard RMS. More information can be found here:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/olympus/macro-lens-20-35.html

The Zuiko 20mm F3.5 is intended for use on a bellows, but can also be attached directly to the camera, as shown in the photo below. Under this conditions, the magnification is 2.6x, i.e., it is very much within the domain of true macro photography. With extension rings or bellows one can reach 12x magnification, or even more.

Most of the photos were taken with the setup shown above. The camera was on a tripod and I used the EFSC (Electronic First Shutter Curtain) feature, which is just what the doctor ordered when you want to eliminate vibration in macro and telephoto photography.

The depth of field was so small I had to use aperture F16. However, the effective aperture was F58 because of the 2.6x magnification used. There is no doubt that an aperture so small is not good for high resolution, but F58 appears to be enough for an image width of 1024 pixels. On a more serious application, you should use larger aperture with focus stacking.

Final Comment
Nature can be beautiful on a microscopic scale: there are colors, textures and shapes that deserve to be photographed. Lovers of bokeh will also be served by macro photography even when using apertures as small as F58! It is amazing how a simple plant can offer opportunity for dozens of interesting pictures. Simply changing the position of the camera a few centimeters is enough to find new angles and interesting compositions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks top lens indeed congrats!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

You must be very close to the subjects at that magnification?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Looks top lens indeed congrats!!

Thank you Attila!
Yes, I think the Zuiko 20mm F3.5 Macro is an old but interesting lens. Unfortunately this type of lens is not too common because it is not aimed at ordinary photograph, but at scientific and specialized jobs. Interestingly, the Zuiko 20mm F3.5 Macro lens is a Tessar, i.e. it is not very special except for the short focal distance.

An interesting modern lens for macro photography beyond 1:1 is the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 Macro Photo 1-5x, which costs more than $1,000! Many people have used with sucess a common wide-angle 28mm lens reverse mounted to do high-quality macro photography with magnifications higher than 1x.

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Very nice!

You must be very close to the subjects at that magnification?

Thanks!
The working distance is more or less equal to the focal length, i.e. about 20mm.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.macrolenses.de/ml_detail.php?ObjektiveNr=39

I have it too and it is computed to be used at 4...12x

It seems to be very patient when used about that range, which
you images nicely show.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I would have your patience. Congrats...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos. I would like to try something like this when I have the right lens.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, guys!
I found interesting the comments about my "patience". Actually, I had a lot of fun in taking the photos. I encourage everyone to try macro photography with magnifications greater than 1:1. You do not need special equipment. A reverse mounted 28mm wide angle is well suited. Reverse rings made in China are cheap and almost everyone has a 28mm lens. Of course a 24mm or 20mm lens allow even greater magnification.