Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Zuiko FTL F4 200mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Olympus Zuiko FTL F4 200mm Reply with quote

Got myself a new toy, been trying to get some FTL lenses for a few months now, finally managed to get one for 40$+15$ for shipping.So far I'm liking it, not the sharpest lens but good enough, colors and contrast is pretty good I think. Only downside is that it is prone to some color fringing but nothing to bad.

Mostly shot at F4 and some at between F4 and F8, I need to get a nice sunny day. They are getting more rare these days Confused .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Olympus FTL lens Reply with quote

I think they look well - in particular the first of the sequence. Maybe just lifting the contrast a little will make the flower and foliage ones better still ... many 200mm lenses have a bit less contrast than their 135mm borthers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus Zuiko FTL F4 200mm Reply with quote

shadows wrote:
Got myself a new toy, been trying to get some FTL lenses for a few months now, finally managed to get one for 40$+15$ for shipping.So far I'm liking it, not the sharpest lens but good enough, colors and contrast is pretty good I think. Only downside is that it is prone to some color fringing but nothing to bad.

Great pictures. I particularly love #1, 2, 4 & 5.

I hace two FTL lenses, the 35/2.8 and the 135/3.5. The 35mm is nothing to write home about (but I might have a bad copy), while the 135mm is a great lens, sharp and compact.

I realize that you use this lens on a 4/3 DSLR, where the tiny 200mm Olympus FTL has the equivalent FOV of a 400mm super telephoto lens... A 400/4 lens that is so light and compact that you can carry it anywhere. For $55 shipped. Not bad Cool.

For those interested in the Olympus FTL system, here's a great site:
http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/ftl.html

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a very nice 3D effect.

Who did the FTL lenses?

Tokina?

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Who did the FTL lenses?

As many people, I used to think that the whole FTL system was produced by a third party constructor. In fact, the design of the FTL lenses reminded me of the Canon FD lenses... But, according to John Foster's site (see link in my previous post), the famous Olympus designer Yoshihisa Maitani (who recently passed away, RIP) once said : ""We manufactured the camera and lenses (ourselves)." As Mr. Foster seems a very knowledgeable person, I have no reason not to believe him.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relayer wrote:
hi,
I have this lens also. some of my tests show that compare to other 3.5-4/200 lenses FTL Zuiko have very good sharpness at wide open

That's good to know, I think I need more practice focusing and doing handled shots with telephoto lenses. Razz