Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Pen-F 38mm f/2.8 Pancake lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Olympus Pen-F 38mm f/2.8 Pancake lens Reply with quote

When i first got it the size surprised me, man this thing is tiny! Of course, it is a half-frame lens, but either way: it really is a small lens. Which leads to the first comment: it's also hard to operate, but this may be a personal thing because i am not used to them.

So, today the NEX-Pen-F adapter arrived! Time to try it! First i mounted it on the A7 to see if it covers full-frame, and it does! It is designed to cover half of that, so i decided to make the test shots on a crop body, the Sony A3000. This of course still is larger than the original half-frame Pen format.

This little Olympus lens is a true gem. It's a splendid performer, all pictures below are straight out of camera JPGs, no PP whatsoever. I am truly stunned! Such a small lens and such a great performer!

I had to see how the lens combines with the old NEX3 camera, which is also quite tiny and flat, so here's a picture of the little gem:

Indoors at f/4

Wide open at f/2.8

At f/8

At f/8

At f/11

At f/8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. Oly has always been a leader in packaging size, both lenses and cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens!! Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice GEM indeed, congratz! Wink
..but the Pen F Half frame isn`t really smaller than Sony APS-C, half frame is slightly bigger.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive!

I've enjoyed my long focal length Pen-F's so far. But haven't had the opportunity to try normal primes due to cost and availability.

It does look nice on the the NEX!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all!

Nordentro wrote:

..but the Pen F Half frame isn`t really smaller than Sony APS-C, half frame is slightly bigger.

Indeed.... somehow i got confused with the M4/3 format. Full-Frame = 24x36, Half-Frame = 24x18 and the Sony APS-C sensor measures 23.4x15.6, there's not that much difference.
Somehow i always assumed Olympus had their Pen lenses focal lengths converted to the actual format. They aren't, this 38mm lens is 38mm on the A7.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. Neat Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one of these Olympus Pen-F 38mm 2.8 Pancakes for sale on ebay right now!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goamules wrote:
There is one of these Olympus Pen-F 38mm 2.8 Pancakes for sale on ebay right now!

Indeed, thanks for sharing!