Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 with stuck aperture ring. Can I fix it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 with stuck aperture ring. Can I fix it? Reply with quote

My father handed down a few lenses from his old olympus system. One of the lenses is the 50mm 1.8 "made in japan", supposed to be the best version of said lens. The aperture ring is set at 2.8 and stuck in that position, aperture diaphram moves freely from wide open to 2.8 position using the DOF preview button. The ring doesn't seem to be "jammed" in that position as it still jiggles a little, it simply won't budge from that setting despite my best efforts. The lens is cheaply available and a professional repair seems pointless as it might run more than the lens is worth. Can anyone familiar with OM lenses offer any advice?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You able to clean it. I think it's blades are dirty only, to clean blades not any easy game, takes time and need some handy experience, in case of you I will buy a new one instead of waste time with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to dismantle the front and take the ring off. It might be just the little ball bearing that is stuck, in which case an easy fix. Worth a try...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 with stuck aperture ring. Can I fix Reply with quote

kappa546 wrote:
My father handed down a few lenses from his old olympus system. One of the lenses is the 50mm 1.8 "made in japan", supposed to be the best version of said lens. The aperture ring is set at 2.8 and stuck in that position, aperture diaphram moves freely from wide open to 2.8 position using the DOF preview button. The ring doesn't seem to be "jammed" in that position as it still jiggles a little, it simply won't budge from that setting despite my best efforts. The lens is cheaply available and a professional repair seems pointless as it might run more than the lens is worth. Can anyone familiar with OM lenses offer any advice?

If you are willing to consign this lens to the bin and buy another then you have nothing to lose? I would certainly say it is worth attempting a fix. At least you will learn how lenses come apart.

Then again, the cost of a decent set of screwdrivers to use on this job is probably more than a replacement lens, so maybe you should only do it if you want the experience?