Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus OM 500mm query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Olympus OM 500mm query Reply with quote

I picked up one of these in excellent shape. I normally try to put a protective UV filter on my lenses ASAP for routine use. This lens, according to at least 2 websites is supposed to take 72mm filters. It seems just a bit small. I tried 2 different filters and both slide straight over the top. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, it can be a little difficult to attach the filter. Make sure the threads are intact and try it few more time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the 72mm filters are too big? I don't understand slide over top.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a Reflex, and takes 72mm, but there is a slide out hood which may confuse things.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/500mm.htm

Of course it may be something older/odd.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it has the slide out hood. If you take a typical filter and slide it horizontally across the top of a lens at some point it will drop into the opening. This never gets down past the top of the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops moron alert. I just noticed I was trying seventy seven mm filters. One of which had worn labels and looked like a 72. DOH!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't suggest a front filter for a mirror lens. It is likely the filter will decrease the image quality of the lens, especially the one shown above with no multi-coating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin, are you sure it's not mult-coated? LensDB has the oly 500 f8 as only after 1983 and their quote of the mfr says multi coated optics. It's hard to see in my photo taken with a Samsung tablet but the lens has a distinctive blue-purple cast in reflections. I do agree that ANY extra glass surfaces can reduce IQ somewhat so if I am really looking for that nth degree of IQ I take the filter off, but for general use and such they don't give much degredation if you have clean, coated quality filters on your lens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Calvin, are you sure it's not mult-coated? LensDB has the oly 500 f8 as only after 1983 and their quote of the mfr says multi coated optics. It's hard to see in my photo taken with a Samsung tablet but the lens has a distinctive blue-purple cast in reflections. I do agree that ANY extra glass surfaces can reduce IQ somewhat so if I am really looking for that nth degree of IQ I take the filter off, but for general use and such they don't give much degredation if you have clean, coated quality filters on your lens.

I mean the filter in your photo are not multi-coated or even non-coated. The mirror lens is multi-coated for sure.

A filter, with slightly tilt glass, fitted to a 500mm will result a much image quality decrease than fitted to a 50mm. The better the lens, the more obvious impact you will see. You can try it yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here´s the information leaflet to this lens in English, German, French and Spanish (I guess). It says 72mm filter thread, and there´s a DOF table in it that might come in handy.

https://olypedia.de/images/c/cc/Zuiko_500_8_Anleitung_1.jpg

https://olypedia.de/images/b/b3/Zuiko_500_8_Anleitung_2.jpg

Gratulations to this lens. Last year I got one Vivitar Series 1 mirror 500mm f8 with a bunch of other old lenses and it´s horrible compared to what you got. Will we see some sample shots taken with it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I plan to do a big 500mm reflex comparison. I did a side by side not long ago with the Mirotar and the Minolta MD. I also have the Minolta AF a Tokina and the Rubinar 500 5.6. That will be 6 lenses! A lot of work! But it should be fun. The weather here has been clear and sunny in the afternoons but a nearby forest fire has made air clarity quite poor and being outside for any significant is unhealthy for the lungs. Hopefully it will rain and clean up the air. Forecasts call for rain on friday which is great since we have been dealing with this nastiness for a month and a half.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to add the excellent Tamron SP 500 f8. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't have that lens. So many lenses so little money! Hmm I wonder if there is a relationship between how many lenses I have and how much money is my "fun" budget....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I see a tamron sp 500mm f8 on my local Craigslist. For 50 dollars. Information is scanty. I discern from the 3 images (one of which is a top down look at the top of the lens cap) a top down look at the mirror and a side view of the lens that it is an adaptall 2 in nikon mount. It says 55BB and also tele macro. It looks OK in photos. I may check it out tomorrow..