Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus exit.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Olympus exit. Reply with quote

Wow! An icon of photography out of the photographey market after these many years of excellence. Strange times.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are packaging the division to sell it off. We can only wait and see how this pans out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not bury the grandfather before he is dead could be a proverb :p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their foray into photography saw great success, but also a great loss of face when the scandals of the 2010s came along. I think they lost the appetite to fight for their position in the market after that, instead turning to what they deemed as their real, and untainted business - scientific and medical.

I've anthropomorphised a business here, describing a company like a person who had their fingers burnt and wanted to forget about it, but it makes more sense to me than the likely accounting/wrong turn/mistake reasons that will be put out.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the transfer of the photography business to Japan Industrial Partners. I have no idea who they are - hedge funded asset strippers or an outfit with a record of turning things around. Perhaps a bit of both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corruption and bad decisions killed them.

Four thirds was an expensive failure that didn't last long.

Micro Four Thirds nearly died due to APS-C competition like the NEX, survived due to popularity with videographers, but Olympus didn't cater for that market very well, Lumix M43 cameras being much better at video.

They were far too late with a semi-pro M43 camera (OM-D E-M5) which, while very good, still didn't have video capabilities to rival cheaper Lumix models.

The Pen models just didn't sell well in recent years because smartphone cameras improved so fast.

It's a shame, but they only have themselves to blame.

I was more disappointed when Samsung cancelled their NX series just as it was producing some really good cameras with cutting edge sensors and class leading video capabilities.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.I.P.

OM.................

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be parting with my small collection of OM Zuikos, never had one that didn't impress me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very sad. I always thought that m4/3 was a very nice balance between size and image quality. I finally bought a ff camera, but only because I wanted to optimally use old lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my OM-D E-M5, hopefully the Olympus brand will live on and not become a name they stick on cheap crap, as happened with other once great brands.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main reasons I went for them as a format in buying a "proper camera" was that it wasn't just one company in the format, so other than some very minor things do to with sensor stack sizes and UV transmission to the sensor and making sync-IS work, pretty much everyone in the format has a fallback to similarly neat cameras like the G9/GH5.

It'd be interesting to see one of the newer players take it over (say, Yi having it for a brand name) but there's so many ways this could go - could find itself anything from debt loaded and stripped, to the same people doing a reverse takeover of a technically more successful company that 'buys' it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I love my OM-D E-M5, hopefully the Olympus brand will live on and not become a name they stick on cheap crap, as happened with other once great brands.

https://www.praktica.com/collections/cameras

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPI will buy it which is backed by the Jap. Government to protect japanese assets. They have already anounced to continue
teh OLYMPUS brand but have to restructure etc. I doubt that will result ins serious impacts regarding the products...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I won't be parting with my small collection of OM Zuikos, never had one that didn't impress me.

Same here, the more I use them the better they get. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they can turn the ship around and produce some cameras that I would be interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I thought I only had a few, but in the last couple of days I have discovered I have more like a dozen of them. Standouts include the 3.6/35-70, 3.5/28, 2.8/35, 2.8/100 and 2.8/135, all are, I dare say it, very near as damnit as good as Zeiss T* and the equals of any Rokkor, Nikkor or Hexanon. The modern Zuiko Digitals I have are really fine lenses too and I only have the entry level stuff, but they lack nothing in sharpness and contrast.

Perhaps the very best Zuiko I possess is the tiny 1.8/38 for the Pen F, a truly stunning little thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Olympus exit. Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Wow! An icon of photography out of the photographey market after these many years of excellence. Strange times.

Going by how JIP operated the Vaio takeover they don't get to use the Sony name, only the Vaio so most likely the Olympus brand will not be used since Olympus continues to make other stuff and exist as a company and most likely don't want their name be used out of their control, so I guess only OM-D and PEN etc will be used by JIP.

Also by how it looks from Vaio it is going to be Chinese developed cameras and lenses in the low end of the market.

I wonder what Panasonic will do now with m4/3 and how they can or can't control the m4/3 group. They formed it together with Olympus originally but it has always been Olympus doing the administration of who gets a m4/3 license and some claim Olympus also is the owner of the mount.

Here some more info about JIP is and how they operate:
https://photorumors.com/2020/06/25/olympus-exit-sell-camera-business-the-day-after/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I thought I only had a few, but in the last couple of days I have discovered I have more like a dozen of them. Standouts include the 3.6/35-70, 3.5/28, 2.8/35, 2.8/100 and 2.8/135, all are, I dare say it, very near as damnit as good as Zeiss T* and the equals of any Rokkor, Nikkor or Hexanon. The modern Zuiko Digitals I have are really fine lenses too and I only have the entry level stuff, but they lack nothing in sharpness and contrast.

Perhaps the very best Zuiko I possess is the tiny 1.8/38 for the Pen F, a truly stunning little thing.

Yes, I agree.
My favourite Zuiko by a long way
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pen F lenses are fantastic and when mounted on a NEX camera look like they were made for it. I have a collection of the Pen F but no NEX at the moment. I look to rectify that in the near future. Maybe a 6000 or something. When I gifted the NEX 5N to a friend he asked if I had a lens that would work. I briefly thought about putting a Pen F 38 1.8 on it but decided to go with the Minolta Rokkor 35mm 2.8 instead. I have been an Olympus fan since my very first SLR an OM1 I bought from a college buddy in 1977 for 250 dollars. I still have it. It still works.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zuiko 1.8/38 is a great match for smaller mirrorless cameras.
If I'm travelling light it is an easy companion.
T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into Olympus in the mid 1980s, with a new ON2n. It was the TTL OTF flash which grabbed me. It was not very many years later that they said they were getting out of photography and concentrating on microscopes.

They then re-emerged with the OM4 and an OM5 was in sight. Then they faded again.

I was a bit surprised that they got going again with m4/3 but I have found it very good. My EM-1 does very well, including with my go-to 4/3 50mm f2 macro and x2 TC for macro and close-ups. I use a lot of adapted legacy lenses with it too and the Laowa 25,,, x2.5-x5 macro. The RC TTL flash is excellent and includes the only 45 degree tilting unit available for high mag macro.

I was hoping that thy would eventually produce a FF but I was right to invest in Sony alpha A7r (1 &n 3) for that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's FB post from Olympus:

https://www.facebook.com/OlympusOMD.Official/posts/3248167105250000

Dear valued customers

We sincerely apologize for causing you worry during this eventful moment in Olympus history.
At the same time, we would like to take this opportunity to thank the many customers for their warm wishes and encouragement for the future of Olympus cameras. We have received many heartfelt messages from Olympus users telling us how they are looking forward to our new products.
This is not the end- this is a new beginning.

Olympus has long believed that no matter your photographic desire, it's pointless if you can't easily carry your camera with you.
Our understanding of the value of small and lightweight camera systems and the pursuit for advancement of them has been passed down through generations of Olympus products. Indeed, this spirit is engraved in our DNA.
"Compact and lightweight", "Powerful image stabilization", and "Optical performance"- these things will continue to be reflected in our new products into the future.

We are preparing for a new journey- one we want to make with you.

Here is our new lens roadmap.
We thank you for your continued support.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
The Pen F lenses are fantastic and when mounted on a NEX camera look like they were made for it. I have a collection of the Pen F but no NEX at the moment. I look to rectify that in the near future. Maybe a 6000 or something. When I gifted the NEX 5N to a friend he asked if I had a lens that would work. I briefly thought about putting a Pen F 38 1.8 on it but decided to go with the Minolta Rokkor 35mm 2.8 instead. I have been an Olympus fan since my very first SLR an OM1 I bought from a college buddy in 1977 for 250 dollars. I still have it. It still works.

My OM1 too. Great friend of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already expected a continuation - why in the world would some investor buy it just to shut it down??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympus Imaging Corp wrote:

Olympus has long believed that no matter your photographic desire, it's pointless if you can't easily carry your camera with you.
Our understanding of the value of small and lightweight camera systems and the pursuit for advancement of them has been passed down through generations of Olympus products. Indeed, this spirit is engraved in our DNA.

Let's do a little reality check here:
https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Alpha-A7c-vs-Olympus-OM-D-E-M1-Mark-III

Not lighter than FF.
Not smaller than FF.
Not exactly cheaper than FF either.

While I fully agree with Oly on their opening statement, their bodies do not reflect their claimed beliefs.
Yea, they do have some cool slow compact zooms, especially tele if you are into that, but overall that's about it.

Their original DNA of compact 35mm systems can't be resolved in the current lineup even with the longest sharpest zoom.