Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic G3 the same sensor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:52 am    Post subject: Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic G3 the same sensor? Reply with quote

There seems to be a question floating around the net if they use the same sensor. By some testing I've seem on another forum it looks like it's a good posibility.
Please, I'd like to hear what everyones opinion is.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olympus has specifically said no. i read somewhere a month or so ago that did some technical analysis i didnt understand from published specs and came to the 'no' conclusion.
tony

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tony.

This is one thread I was talking about.

http://www.mu-43.com/f92/comparison-olympus-e-m5-panasonic-g3-raw-files-same-sensor-not-22600/

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
olympus has specifically said no. i read somewhere a month or so ago that did some technical analysis i didnt understand from published specs and came to the 'no' conclusion.
tony

When did they say no? From what I've read they have only said that they won't say who made it. Regardless, even if they did use the same sensor, there may be image quality differences between G3 and OM-D because of different implementations of the sensor.

Much of this speculation was before reviews were available. Now the question is only to satisfy curiosity since there are enough technical reviews out now to compare how the OM-D performs.

(My personal opinion is that a tweaked G3 sensor is the most probable option.)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edz wrote:
rbelyell wrote:
tony

When did they say no? From what I've read they have only said that they won't say who made it. Regardless, even if they did use the same sensor, there may be image quality differences between G3 and OM-D because of different implementations of the sensor.

Much of this speculation was before reviews were available. Now the question is only to satisfy curiosity since there are enough technical reviews out now to compare how the OM-D performs.

(My personal opinion is that a tweaked G3 sensor is the most probable option.)

Like you said it is just to satisfy curiosity. Either way the OM-D seems like a great camera. I have a Panasonic G1 and this might be my next upgrade.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Like you said it is just to satisfy curiosity. Either way the OM-D seems like a great camera. I have a Panasonic G1 and this might be my next upgrade.

considering the $999 vs. $500 cost difference on the body the question is more than just curiosity imho... if you don't need the weather proofing the G3 seems like a superb deal....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
walter g wrote:

considering the $999 vs. $500 cost difference on the body the question is more than just curiosity imho... if you don't need the weather proofing the G3 seems like a superb deal....

The G3 will more then likely be my next upgrade. Sadly,I don't think I will be able to afford the OM-D.