Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Auto T Zuiko 180mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Olympus Auto T Zuiko 180mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Here are some shots with the Zuiko 180/2.8. All are 100% crops of jpegs from the Sony A7. Like all Zuikos, this lens is very high quality and the long focus throw makes it easy to work with at maximum aperture. There is a lot of purple fringe at 2.8 which can be corrected in Photoshop pretty easily.

zuiko180_1

zuiko180_2

zuiko180_3

zuiko180_4

zuiko180_5

zuiko180_6

zuiko180_7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice bird shots, it looks like you acheived perfect focusing on these.Have you a before shot with the purple fringing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely series, congrats to your great lens, one of the few OM lens what I never had I think.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good. I was not aware of that lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Very nice bird shots, it looks like you acheived perfect focusing on these.Have you a before shot with the purple fringing?

Thanks you guys for looking. I've noticed all of the Zuikos have a long focus throw and the ring is perfectly dampened, making them among the easiest I have to focus. They're beautiful lenses and very compact and this one is no exception. It has 8 blades and a 72mm filter size.

Below is a a crop showing some of the purple fringing (happens in high contrast areas at 2.8 ) and a mostly corrected version using the method Woodrim shared with me. I also added a pic of the lens.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how the CA is absent in the area in perfect focus - a little past the bird's feet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa,that is certainly in your face purple fringing Smile Nicely processed.I have been looking at the OM lenses for use on my G1(deciding which lens I want to try first) Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Whoa,that is certainly in your face purple fringing Smile Nicely processed.I have been looking at the OM lenses for use on my G1(deciding which lens I want to try first) Laughing

The lens fringes pretty heavily at times, and depending on the shot and the aperture, it can fringe blue/magenta and red. The shots look so good though, that I'm fine with trying to fix them later. I got an Osawa 200/4 in M42 recently that I swear fringes every color in the known spectrum and some that haven't been discovered yet. It's like someone ate a bag of skittles and threw up on the edge of every object in the scene. Fascinating in it's own way, LOL.

I'm new to OM lenses, but based on what I know I would suggest the 50/1.8, since they're relatively cheap and really high quality, but maybe another 50 is too boring. While they have some exotic primes, a lot of Olympus glass seems to be pretty pricey. I still think one of the biggest bargains in OM land is their 300/4.5, which is usually cheaper than Minolta/Konica/Nikon equivalents. There are many on here who know a lot more about OM lenses than I do. Be sure to post shots when you get your first one!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Very Happy

I have noticed that CA is a common problem on several fast telelenses from ~180mm and up...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be sure I will post as soon as I buy an OM lens....I am looking at the 100mm range, although I may not be in a position to buy one for a little while. Smile

A great description,skittles vomit...desribes something very colorful indeed in an image!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a capable lens. And it looks good! Modern and clean; maybe a bit like Apple stuff.