Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus 85/2.0 internal focus ring loose - common?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Olympus 85/2.0 internal focus ring loose - common? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me. I scored an Olympus 85/2.0 in very nice condition knowing that "something inside rattles", as the seller said. I downloaded the pdf of the parts:

http://olympus.dementia.org/hardware/PDFs/85mm_f2.0.pdf

I removed the back of the lens to find a ring loose inside. (Pictures attached.) I can see exactly where it goes and what it does, but not how it stays there. It seems to be the lever that adjusts the close-focusing elements as the barrel spins the other elements during focusing. The ring rests right where it should and does its job but there is nothing securing it there, so after a few barrel turns its loose again. Looking closely at where the ring sits I can see what looks like epoxy points of adhesion, but I'm not going there until someone says that is what I should do. (Also attached is a macro of a tiny bit of fungus that I found at the edge of the inside of the front element. Thats next on the list and the first time I'll be cleaning a lens myself.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM lenses are very well built , this is not common I am pretty sure. I have this lens and trouble free it works in perfect working order.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like glued. So if it is not fixed to the lens, your lens has no CRC ???
CRC=close range clrrection, ie. floating mechanism

You can see excess "glue" on the metal, which firmly fixed for my lens.

I did not know Zuiko 85/2 has floating system, so I took the lens mount out
to shoot the above pics in order to satisfy my curiosity. Very Happy